Best way to make a "big" cup of coffee with an espresso machine - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#21: Post by baldheadracing »

jpender wrote:I was staying at hotel in Basel and the coffee they served in the hotel breakfast room was wonderful. It had a very rich body, not really like filter coffee I've had elsewhere. They delivered it to the table in a carafe. I've always wondered how they made that coffee. I took a small vial home and measured it's strength to be 1.8%.
They might have been using a "hotel group," a.k.a. "thermal reserve" on their espresso machine. (Demonstration of a hotel group by Salvatore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2rBmwQafts )

One can think of it as percolation brewing at boiler pressure.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

jpender

#22: Post by jpender »

Very interesting, thanks for that. Espresso grind, metal filter, low pressure batch brewing. It was the best hotel coffee I've ever had.

bean2friends

#23: Post by bean2friends »

I make my Americanos by drawing a double shot on top of about 3 ounces of hot water. That way I get a pretty good idea of what that espresso tastes like although somewhat diluted. I think it makes an excellent drink. Never a sink shot. And, sometimes I steam milk to pour in and it's practially indistinguishable from a regular latte.