Best tips for "exceptional espresso" - Page 6

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
njtnjt

Postby njtnjt » May 13, 2019, 9:14 pm

Fisher wrote:I do appreciate your input. Thank you! I hope other "traditionalists" will share as well... although I think I am in the minority amongst so many of the more modern third-wavers. :wink:

You're not alone. I am a "traditionalist" too. A couple weeks ago I had the best espresso of my life. It tasted like a dollop of butter was put on top of the crema. Incredible mouthfeel. The grinder? A conical...... Mazzer Kold.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

LMWDP #414 njtnjt

Yum

Postby Yum » May 14, 2019, 12:29 pm

[quoc

te="Radio.YYZ"]I am solely going by flavour on what i like and one of my friend who is NOT a coffee drinker and he enjoys my espressos and eagerly awaits his drinks. I have a no sugar policy, if people do not like pure espresso i am happy to make them a cortado or a flat white.

I do stick to a variable change for atleast a few dozen drinks and note the results. My primary goal is flavour and secondary is fulfiling the desire to have newer better gear, a healthy 70/30 ratio... ok maybe more like 60/40 ratio!

Double guessing is something i have done a lot, so many variables and sometimes they are counter productive to change. The single most important change i have made is sticking to my water recipe that gives a clean clear palete for the espresso.

I am very eager to try the cold cup 2-4min wait espresso shot![/quote]

Fisher

Postby Fisher » Jun 09, 2019, 7:01 pm

Does either a longer or a shorter preinfusion time affect the viscosity of the shot, and if so what is the relationship there?