Bean de-gassing, accelerated aging and vaccum containers - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Vindibona1 (original poster)

#11: Post by Vindibona1 (original poster) »

Phobic wrote:that's not long enough
get the basics right 1st then look at the impact of the container, you don't know if it's a degassing thing or a pressure thing because you're doing both at the same time.
I think this next batch will just go into one of the available Illy cans to see what happens as the week progresses. As far at "rest time", it's about 4 days from the roaster to my door, by estimate, and then sits on the shelf about 3 days, all depending on how much testing I've done on the previous batch which might or not deplete it quickly.

I think I'm getting the basics down as for the most part I'm getting pretty decent shots, at least usually. I try to be very consistent in puck prep. The steam on the naked portafilter comes together very quickly, so I would have to believe that channeling is minimal. First drip is around 7 seconds and now when the pressure goes up to its peak it's around 8 bar. Should I ramp down the pressure decreased to 6 bar and those factors seem pretty consistent. Times are relatively consistent now, between a total of 27-28 seconds.

This morning when I went to pull two shots, the pressure indicator on the can had fully released, indicating that there was no longer any vacuum inside the can. The first shot was a ramp-down after full open for 10g and was a bit bitter. Just a bit. I did a second shot with the valve full open and it went a bit sour, but still good enough to add a small amount of milk and a bit of sweetener. I have to guess that the beans may have degassed more in the last day or so as indicated by the vacuum pressure. I don't know. I have to now figure out how to adjust for the straight shot now, but would think that I might want to leave the grinder alone and increase the dose from 17.5g to 18g, pressure having been 8 bar and a 27 second total time. Or, because the straight shot was a bit sour I want to decrease the dose to 17g? I'm not so good at diagnostics/corrections yet.

Phobic

#12: Post by Phobic »

Vindibona1 wrote:I think this next batch will just go into one of the available Illy cans to see what happens as the week progresses. As far at "rest time", it's about 4 days from the roaster to my door, by estimate, and then sits on the shelf about 3 days, all depending on how much testing I've done on the previous batch which might or not deplete it quickly.
treat every single bag of coffee you get as different, they're all ready when they're ready, no need to rush things :)

sometimes I will leave certain varietals from certain roasters for 2 weeks or more before I even bother testing them.

just leave them in the bag unopened, they will keep plenty fresh enough for you - I buy 3 250g bags each time I order, they last a good few weeks once off gassed, and even if you do keep them around a lot longer, you can tweak your grind to compensate as they get a bit older and have fully off gassed.
Vindibona1 wrote: I think I'm getting the basics down as for the most part I'm getting pretty decent shots, at least usually. I try to be very consistent in puck prep. The steam on the naked portafilter comes together very quickly, so I would have to believe that channeling is minimal. First drip is around 7 seconds and now when the pressure goes up to its peak it's around 8 bar. Should I ramp down the pressure decreased to 6 bar and those factors seem pretty consistent. Times are relatively consistent now, between a total of 27-28 seconds.
you won't really get timings consistent between different types of bean, don't worry about it, just focus on consistency of weight in and out, and consistency of your prep.

I'm not sure what you comment about steam on the PF and channeling means, you'll have to expand a bit, but if you're saying all beans start to extract by around 7 seconds, again that's not something you should worry about, I've had beans that gush everything out in 20s, and beans that don't even start to drip for 60s+, with pull times well over 2.5 mins.
Vindibona1 wrote: This morning when I went to pull two shots, the pressure indicator on the can had fully released, indicating that there was no longer any vacuum inside the can. The first shot was a ramp-down after full open for 10g and was a bit bitter. Just a bit.
this suggests your grind was too fine, I would have ground a a bit coarser for the next and retried.
Vindibona1 wrote: I did a second shot with the valve full open and it went a bit sour, but still good enough to add a small amount of milk and a bit of sweetener.
Sour suggests you were grinding a bit too coarse. if you didn't change grind setting between pulls you might be don't something else without realising it which is causing the problem, not sure which, maybe walkthrough your routine and/or post a video showing it so people can give you some advice.
Vindibona1 wrote: I have to guess that the beans may have degassed more in the last day or so as indicated by the vacuum pressure. I don't know.
degassing will change how fine you need to grind and therefore at the same setting you could get a difference between bitter > sour.

However the answer is to let the beans fully degas 1st before you begin to dial them in, once dialed in typically I don't have to change grind setting at all, I've drunk the bag before I would need to! things stay consistent enough (obvious we check and adjust if we notice anything other than tasty)
Vindibona1 wrote:I have to now figure out how to adjust for the straight shot now, but would think that I might want to leave the grinder alone and increase the dose from 17.5g to 18g, pressure having been 8 bar and a 27 second total time. Or, because the straight shot was a bit sour I want to decrease the dose to 17g? I'm not so good at diagnostics/corrections yet.
don't play about with dose, pick 1 and stick to it. pick a ratio and stick to it. your main tool to dial in is the grind!

you'll get it, sounds like your on the right track, just be a bit more patient with the beans degassing :)