BDB + 270W, Early blonding but good volume + time. Help?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
conrad_vanl

#1: Post by conrad_vanl »

Hi! Looking for feedback / advice. I have a video of myself pulling a shot. I seem to be getting decent shot volume (2:1 ratio) in a decent amount of time (30s w/ 7s pre-infusion), but this seems to blonde rather early in the pull, and is fairly consistent to what I typically get. Is this correct? What should I be trying next?
  • VST 20g Basket

20g espresso ground with Sette 270W,
    Espresso blend roasted on 1/9 (8 days ago),

pulled on BDB 920 at 203 degrees
    with 7 second pre-infusion at 70% pump pressure

Stopped at 31 seconds, with about 39.1g final weight
Shot starts around 1:15 if you want to jump ahead.

Also interested in any resources that would good to read up on (besides the newbie and home guides in the how-to section).

h3yn0w

#2: Post by h3yn0w »

Shot looked pretty good to me. How did it taste?

I would start tweaking the ratio based on taste and not worry about blonding at all.

Advertisement
conrad_vanl (original poster)

#3: Post by conrad_vanl (original poster) »

Taste is alright....just seems like it's either lacking complexity or something. At the roaster with the same blend the shots appear to start darker and stay darker for longer (synesso hydra and mahlkonig peak...so completely different league obviously). I feel like their taste is more complex...perhaps sweeter too? I could definitely do for more sweetness. Although I wouldn't say the shots I'm making at home are particularly bitter or sour. I've been working towards duplicating their timing - which is a 7 second pre infusion and around 30 seconds total. The hydra pressure gauge builds up to 9 then I believe they back it off some towards the end of the shot. But I guess I do not know what volume (and thus ratio) they are aiming for.

Sometimes I get lucky and pull a shot that I believe would be accurately described as sweeter - but definitely more dark spots in the crema and I almost get a sensation of ripe bananas on taste. I know that's probably a horrible and weird tasting note...but my espresso tasting vocabulary is seriously lacking (any suggested resources to learn about tasting?).

Thanks!

Headala

#4: Post by Headala »

How is your water? Are you using RO filtration? My understanding is that the absence or over presence of minerals can affect the taste of the shot and make it flat.

#5: Post by conrad_vanl (original poster) »

RO filtered with a calcium re-mineralizing stage. TDS comes out around 20 or something I believe. Out of the machine it jumps up to around 100 (last time I measured after a descale). It's an APEC system, one of the essence models I believe. This one possibly - http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/roes-ph75-detail.htm/

#6: Post by conrad_vanl (original poster) »

This post has given me some good ideas and things to try: Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste

erik82

#7: Post by erik82 »

How much beans have you ground with the 270W? Maybe the burrs aren't broken in yet.

Advertisement
F1

#8: Post by F1 »

Try bumping up the temperature and taste. Let the machine alone for at least 10mins after you make the change just to be sure it is stable. I know it says 203F on the machine, but if you haven't had it SCACE tested you can't be 100% sure that the water coming out is actually 203F. No, using a meat thermometer is not accurate enough. From the video it does look like it is blonding too fast.

sprin001

#9: Post by sprin001 »

+1 for an even distribution. I would double check temp and maybe move that up a bit. Your dose, yield, and extraction all sound consistent. Lastly, the age of the beans can cause strange stuff. I have pulled 3 day old beans with mediocre to bad results. The same beans at 7-10 days old pulled stellar shots with no change in my dose/yield parameters (never-ending, just saw your info in post).

I'very switched from my 20g naked PF to 18g doubleshot spouted PF with the slightly tapered bottom and that changes result of some beans.

#10: Post by conrad_vanl (original poster) »

F1 wrote:Try bumping up the temperature and taste.
sprin001 wrote:I would double check temp and maybe move that up a bit
Moved the machine up to read 205 (its max) and WOW, I can't believe the difference two degrees made. The first shot poured 30g right at 30s, but with a full cup. 2:3 ratio, so a bit ristretto, but tasted great. Like I said, the cup was as full as it was last night, but I was getting 40g in 30s last night, 30g today. Same initial ground weight (20g), same end volume, time, grind, etc, but different shot weight after the temp change. Much nicer color out of the portafilter, more pronounced striping and for longer too.

Pulled a second shot this afternoon and let it run for just a touch longer...maybe 32-33s and the weight was up to around 39g. I cut it with milk for a cappuccino and it might've been too caramel-ly! I'm really surprised the difference 2 degrees made...