Basket Overdosing; time for a serious re-evaluation! - Page 21

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
cafeIKE

#201: Post by cafeIKE »

nixter wrote:The improved shots are obvious as I have a naked PF.
Really! And just how does the npf describe the taste?

Dark Star

#202: Post by Dark Star »

Ken Fox wrote:It is my opinion that 12 or 14g of coffee is more than enough to make a balanced concentrated 1.0 or 1.5oz beverage...
Ken,

I am admittedly coming in on this very late and as a complete newbie. I am completely onboard with what you have presented in this thread, but I am unclear on something. Throughout this discussion you have talked about dosing for "doubles" with ~14g of coffee, yet the above quote implies that you are regularly only pulling 1.0 to 1.5 oz (a single shot volume) from that quantity of coffee. If that is true, then are you not, in fact, still overdosing by 100% as compared to what is defined as true espresso normale (7g for a 20-30ml drink)? I am not asking this to be in any way confrontational. I am completely onboard with the concept of using classical dosing and techniques. I am just looking for clarification, and I am not sure that you have actually taken this concept quite far enough. In your experimentation, have you pulled a true double volume (2.5 or 3.0 ounces total) from your ~14g dosed double baskets? If so, what is your opinion regarding the results? Please do not overlook the fact that when you refer to the Italians dosing with 12-14g or so that they are also most likely pulling two shots of volume through that dose, whereas people in the US cramming 20+g into a basket may typically be pulling one shot volume or less through it (it sounds like you yourself may only be pulling a single's worth of volume through your ~14g doses).

I have had the privilege of taking multiple trips to Italy and I love true Italian espresso and the whole culture that goes with it. That is what I try to replicate at home. As you have so correctly pointed out, the stuff that typical American cafes produce is not espresso (nor are soup bowls filled with milk cappucini). It is something different that reflects the never-ending tendency of Americans to take everything to the extreme and ruin it; the same tendency that causes most of the rest of the world to despise us. Americans may like the stuff, but it is not true espresso in the same sense that grappa is not wine. You previously hinted at people needing to use a different name for that stuff to differentiate it from true espresso. I humbly propose that it be referred to as "excesso" to reflect its uniquely American origin.

Anyway, I would appreciate it if you could provide clarification regarding the total volumes that you pull using you ~14g dosing. As you can guess, I typically strive to pull two shots (a good 2.5 oz) from a normally dosed (14 or 15g) double basket and I have been very pleased with my results as compared to true espresso as served in Italy. I have been puzzled on multiple occasions when I have seen people on forums refer to single baskets as something along the lines of "a cruel joke" because I have had great success in pulling true espresso singles using a single basket dosed with approximately 7 or 8g of coffee. After reading this whole thread it is now clear to me that those "cruel joke" comments about single baskets are coming from people who like making something that is upwards of five or six time more concentrated than true espresso is supposed to be (i.e. - a short single shot using 20+g of coffee). "Excesso", but to each his own.

VS_DoubleShot

#203: Post by VS_DoubleShot »

7 grams of ground coffee per .75 - 1 ounce shot of espresso. 14 grams would make a double at 1.5 - 2 ounces.
Regards,

Vince

sjjan

#204: Post by sjjan »

I am quite new on the forum and just finished a barista training in the Netherlands, Europe, where the dosing, grooming and tamping methods were part of the training that is commonly found on home-barista.com as well. I have been confused as the amount of coffee in a single-shot basket was not half of that in a double-shot basket, the temperature of the espresso made with less coffee in a single basket higher than if I would pull 2 espresso's from a double basket filled to the rim, groomed and stamped "properly".

In fact, one of the single-shot baskets delivered with my espresso machine won't even fit in the brewhead if I were to follow somehow the methods prescribed here as well as in the book written by Scott Rao. Scott writes about the NSEW of Stockfleth's Move methods of grooming and elsewhere describes that for a single espresso you would need about 7 grams of coffee and for two espresso's 14 grams.

On this home-barista.com website these grooming methods as well as others such as the Weiss Distribution Technique (WDT) are advertised as the best method for grooming and getting consistent shots.

Is there any consensus on how to dose, do the grooming and tamp? Why are the instructions in the how-to section still not consistent with what is written in this thread? Am I missing anything important?

Sjoerd Jan

malachi

#205: Post by malachi »

There is no golden rule.

Different baskets take different doses.
Different machines respond best to different dose ranges.
Different coffees respond (subjectively) better or worse to different doses.

It's all subjective.
What's in the cup is what matters.

Psyd

#206: Post by Psyd »

VS_DoubleShot wrote:7 grams of ground coffee per .75 - 1 ounce shot of espresso. 14 grams would make a double at 1.5 - 2 ounces.
From INEI:
Necessary portion of ground coffee = 7 g ± 0,5
Exit temperature of water from the unit = 88°C ± 2°C
Temperature of the drink in the cup = 67°C ± 3°C
Entry water pressure = 9 bar ± 1
Percolation time = 25 seconds ± 2.5 seconds
Viscosity at = 45°C > 1.5 mPa s
Total fat = > 2 mg/ml
Caffeine = 100 mg/cup
Millilitres in the cup (including foam) = 25 ml ± 2.5
So they are talking roughly an ounce for a single. 22.5 (minimum single) would be about .75 ounces, so a double would be about one and a half at a minimum, and just under two (1.8 something ounces) at a maximum. So say the Italians. I've long suggested that we have at least some standards, if for nothing other than to describe what I make or want to have made would deviated from the standard.
Walk into twenty espresso shops and ask for a cappuccino, and get twenty different drinks.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

erics
Supporter ★

#207: Post by erics »

This is as good as it gets and it is pretty darn good:

Brewing ratios for espresso beverages
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

malachi

#208: Post by malachi »

I can name at least a half dozen top (critically acclaimed) shops that exceed the "maximum" dose as specified directly above.

And probably at least 75% of top NA shops exceed the previously provided "italian" specifications for dose.

Resist dogma.
Just taste what's in the cup.
What's in the cup is what matters.

Ken Fox (original poster)

#209: Post by Ken Fox (original poster) »

People need to decide what they like, and you can only do that by experimenting. I used to enjoy "over-the-top, in-your-face designer espresso blends," 20 grams or even more crammed into a double (or triple) basket for a double shot. Over time, these became like a caricature of espresso to me, sort of like eating a whole pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream in one sitting.

I also noticed that one had to do a song and dance in order to get most espresso machines to make drinks from these packed PF baskets without channeling or other problems. It was sort of like the machine was trying to tell me something :mrgreen:

Nowadays, I don't much like these "over the top" blends, that demand that you use large doses in order for them to taste good. Rather, I prefer selected single origins dosed to Italian-ish parameters of ~14g, which I weigh out on a 0.1g gram scale. My current fave is Ethiopian Worka, which to my taste is just about the best single origin I've ever roasted for espresso (I terminate the roasts 2 or 3 degrees before 2nd crack would begin).

I put the 14g into the PF, twirl my tamper in there for a second, lock and load and pull the shot. That is my current "barista technique." I never get channeling anymore, my shots are very consistent and I think the shots taste better, but then, that is just me. I am able to drink more shots each day, and I no longer have lengthy "refractory periods" after drinking espresso, in the sense that one feels like one couldn't or wouldn't drink another one for awhile because a "recovery period" is necessary.

I can fully understand why someone else would prefer something else. It's a free country (and mostly a free world) so play with the parameters and find what you like best.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

Nickk1066

#210: Post by Nickk1066 »

I think you're right Ken. I've stuck with the fluffing method and the result is better coffee through less of it in the basket.
Barista - applied pre-emptive hydro-thermodynamicist.
(#208)