Basket dosing amounts - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Nunas »

So for my grinder should I put it so I hear the chattering of the burrs and just back it off a little bit till I no longer hear it as a starting point?
That's a really good question. If you have a hopper full of beans, you'll find that most grinders will go finer without gear clash. But if you run it empty the clash will happen sooner. I don't use my grinder as a single dose, as it has an inbuilt scale to always give me the right dose. I wonder what the guys with the Niche grinders do. Probably calibrate it as you say, go to clash and back off a tad. That's what I do with my hand grinders.

ludespeedny (original poster)

#12: Post by ludespeedny (original poster) »

I adjusted it till I heard the burrs and backed it off a bit and put 18g in the basket, leveled it, and tamped it. The silvia choked. I kept going coarser, it ended up at 3 on the dial which was about a full turn from when the burrs started hitting. It flowed a bit too quick, but I'll try going to 2.5 or 2 to get it the speed I needed.
I did find that on the finest setting, the grounds clumped a bit and backed up behind the "ace" system, so when the silvia choked, I cleaned it all out, went coarser and kept doing it till I got a flow.
Here are a few pics. Please excuse the large measuring cup, as I don't have a smaller one yet that can work till I get a smaller scale to fit under and weigh.