Bad Results, Refractometer Confuses Me - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Jeff
Team HB

#21: Post by Jeff »

Doesn't sound like you've cracked the magic of La Cabra beans yet, but it does sound like you've discovered a significant temperature difference between the two units. There have been reports of the as-delivered temperature offset on certain ECM HX machines not being as accurate as one might hope. It is potentially the case that your Pro 300 doesn't have an offset that provides 203°F when set to 203°F on the display. I'd start there.

Getting accurate shot temperature displays on PIDed double boilers without a thermometer gives a reasonable way to get close to the "right" offset without needing to buy or rent a Scace.

Since my machine is never the same as a roaster's machine, I've never taken their temperature recommendations as anything more than cooler/normal/hotter suggestions. That my temperature gauge read "206" for "normal" wasn't important, but knowing that 206 was normal was.

That you were able to pull reasonable shots on the Lelit Elizabeth suggests that you're not the limiting factor right now!

Peter_SVK

#22: Post by Peter_SVK »

msg31 wrote:... Any thoughts on what to do next?
Why did you stop testing at 207F? Go even further, to 209F, 211F, ... until the acidity goes off and bitterness starts to dominate, then try to find temperature sweet spot with balaced acidity/bitterness.

jmotzi

#23: Post by jmotzi »

msg31 wrote:...Then I switched to a light roast single origin from Soul Work. On the Pro 300, this coffee was similarly muddy flavors, sour. But, on the Elizabeth the shots were bright, sweet, and fantastic...Any thoughts on what to do next?
So you've had success with the Soul Work on your friend's machine which now gives you a taste baseline. Why not stick with that coffee and try to get similar results on your machine? Moving to other coffees or back to that LaCabra is just going to frustrate you since you have no taste baseline with those.

As others have hinted, don't be afraid to push well beyond what you think is proper for grind, temperature, ratio, time, etc. To use a cooking analogy, some people are afraid of burning the roux and therefore never go far enough to get a dark roux. It's the same with coffee - the fear of over extraction paralyzes some folks into never getting to the flavor zone.

JM
LMWDP #662