Backflushing - How far is not far enough? - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
malachi

#31: Post by malachi »

cannonfodder wrote:Contrary to logical thought, a light use machine would need to be cleaned more often than a heavy use machine. A heavy use machine will get oiled up, but the oils will always be fresh since shot two will remove the oils from shot one, shot three will remove the oils from shot two, etc... Oil will dissolve oil, water does nothing to it.
Amen.
What's in the cup is what matters.

Psyd

#32: Post by Psyd »

cannonfodder wrote:I have yet to replace a group gasket.
How long have you been doing this? And have 'yet' to change a group gasket? I wanna know where you're getting your gaskets! I used to change mine every six months (machine on 24-7-ish) and last time I decided that I was leaving some use on the table. This time I went almost a year, and the difference was noticeable.

Sure, I saved ten bucks, but I started getting escaping drips from the 'not exactly perfectly round' naked, and decided it was time. After replacing the two brick-like gaskets, I'm back on an every six months schedule.
Hey, it's just a group gasket. Swap the one you've got in there on a five dollar experiment, and tell us how the new one feels in comparison.
The difference that I experienced was so nice that I still enjoy the feel of locking in the PF days later.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Worldman

#33: Post by Worldman »

I backflush once a week (on Saturday, the same day I wind the 110 year old clock in the entry hall) - but I kinda' "do" a double backflush. That is, my Expobar Control has a BF cycle (5 times on/off). I go through 1 auto cycle with the blind filter and "Clean Express" detergent. Then rinse everything and go through another auto cycle with blind filter and NO detergent. Then I remove the blind filter and simply flush some water through the PF. After this, I turn the machine off and "drain" the boiler by opening the water valve. I then use the tramp water with some Clean Express added to soak my PF and baskets. Then re-fill the boiler by simply turning the machine back on and once the pump stops, I shut her down for the night.

Len
Len's Espresso Blend

cannonfodder
Team HB

#34: Post by cannonfodder »

Psyd wrote:How long have you been doing this? And have 'yet' to change a group gasket? I wanna know where you're getting your gaskets! I used to change mine every six months (machine on 24-7-ish) and last time I decided that I was leaving some use on the table. This time I went almost a year, and the difference was noticeable.

Sure, I saved ten bucks, but I started getting escaping drips from the 'not exactly perfectly round' naked, and decided it was time. After replacing the two brick-like gaskets, I'm back on an every six months schedule.
Hey, it's just a group gasket. Swap the one you've got in there on a five dollar experiment, and tell us how the new one feels in comparison.
The difference that I experienced was so nice that I still enjoy the feel of locking in the PF days later.
Stock gaskets. My Elektra A3 is going on 2 years as is my VBM. Both are running just fine, still flexible, no leaks, dont have to wrench in the portafilter. Just keep it clean and dont abuse them. They will last longer than you think and I run the machines most all day if not 24/7.
Dave Stephens

Psyd

#35: Post by Psyd »

cannonfodder wrote: Just keep it clean and dont abuse them. They will last longer than you think and I run the machines most all day if not 24/7.
Mine would go after about a year if I never pulled a shot. The combination of the dry weather and the heat of the group just eventually hardens them.
I still say that you're in for a pleasant surprise when you change them. The subtle changes form day to day are just too minuscule to notice, but the leap from the end of that scale back to the beginning is luxurious.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

malachi

#36: Post by malachi »

Pennsylvania vs Southern Arizona.
What's in the cup is what matters.

Psyd

#37: Post by Psyd replying to malachi »

Yep. Folks who manufacture, say, outdoor goods (sporting equipment, furniture, whatever) back east have no idea what the sun does out here, or the constant dry heat. I've gotten three replacement motorcycle covers after three consecutive summers here in AZ from an Ohio company. When I sent in the third rag, they asked how I keep trashing them, as all the others are surviving their five year warranty. After I explained just how caustic the sunshine out here is, they made me an unofficial 'test site' for their new desert cover.
Some folk will never get it. ; >
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

cannonfodder
Team HB

#38: Post by cannonfodder »

I use to live in Colorado, same out there. The dry weather would dry-rot anything rubber. Real hard on sticky motorcycle tires.
Dave Stephens