Asso Coffee The Jack Leveler - it works!

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Star

#1: Post by Star » Jun 11, 2019, 1:21 am

I am very much a newbie to the home barista coffee making scene and with that comes a whole bunch of enthusiasm but also objectivity through lack of experience and/or bias!

I wanted to add to the knowledge and share my experience about the Asso The Jack Leveler - it works! I have managed to pull shots in both single and double shot baskets commencing around 5-8 seconds, done 25-30 seconds with 25-30 grams out and without channeling. When in twist this thing I find it gives me a more uniform flat surface without sometime the holes or minor blemishes with my amateurish tamping with the traditional tamper. Once you get the depth setting right then it's all good from there.

My setup is Quickmill Andreja Premium EVO, Eureka Atom, IMS baskets and a Decent 7g basket. Note the Jack Leveler does not dint in an IMS single shot basket 9-10grm basket hence the Decent 7grm basket which works well.

I hope that helps.

mallen4248
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mallen4248 » Jun 11, 2019, 6:50 pm

I'm fairly new to using high end espresso equipment as well (3.5 months). I use one too and love it. I have been using an Asso The Jack distribution tool daily for about 8 weeks and I love it. I carefully ease it down on the coffee after WDT and slowly turn it at first and after a few turns I spin the leveler. I still tamp with either my Bravo or Decent self leveling calibrated tamper (you probably could do without tamping if the grind/depth is worked out). My brews are much more consistent since I added Asso The Jack and have I even extractions with no occasional spritzers. I think the trick is to use the tools you like in a consistent work flow and change one variable at a time. I use an IMS competition screen with a VST 22 gram ridgeless basket for a 21 gram dose of Dragonfly Crema Dolce.
In vino veritas.... and caffeine helps the next morning....

iploya

#3: Post by iploya » Jun 13, 2019, 6:15 am

This looks like a nice tool, but is it any different functionally than the $20 or $30 too I got off Amazon? It looks nearly identical, both the profile of the bottom and the adjustment method.

https://www.amazon.com/Distributor-Leve ... 01NAQ0YO5/
--AB

Samcanadian

#4: Post by Samcanadian » Jun 13, 2019, 12:16 pm

Would like to know this myself, tbh. I just recently ordered one from Amazon that was around the same price. Looks to be the exact same too, probably from the same chinese manufacturer.

GC7

#5: Post by GC7 » Jun 13, 2019, 4:22 pm

The one(s) from Amazon for about $20 work very well.

In my several month's experiences there is a small but real increase in consistency compared with carefully leveling with your finger.

mallen4248
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mallen4248 » Jun 13, 2019, 9:30 pm

I have an Amazon version as well as the Asso The Jack. Both work. The Jack works better because it's a tighter fit, 58.5 mm for the Jack vs 58 mm. Also the Jack has 4 "vanes" with sharper edges vs 3 with smoother. There are other levelers like The Jack such as the OCD that offers similar design that would work just as well. Again this is my opinion with limited experience.
In vino veritas.... and caffeine helps the next morning....

Samcanadian

#7: Post by Samcanadian » Jun 14, 2019, 2:50 pm

Here's a video of the one I purchased. The thing feels VERY premium, and I never would've guessed it was the cheap knockoff version. It's heavy too...I'm not sure how much it weighs, but it's a full pound for sure.

goldec

#8: Post by goldec » Jun 16, 2019, 2:09 pm

I have the amazon one aswell and it works really well. The weight is 470 grams.

Just a note to anyone considering it - you don't have to unscrew it fully to adjust the depth. Half a turn does it.

maximatica

#9: Post by maximatica » Jun 17, 2019, 3:59 pm

Samcanadian wrote:Here's a video of the one I purchased. The thing feels VERY premium, and I never would've guessed it was the cheap knockoff version. It's heavy too...I'm not sure how much it weighs, but it's a full pound for sure.
<video>
I'm pretty sure I bought the same one (light blue box?). They claim that it is 500 grams but when I weighed mine it showed 471 on my kitchen scale.

Now that we have a 2nd opinion and that it is 470, you can add US 4 quarters and 3 US pennies and be at 500.18 grams.

+ 5.670 * 4 (a quarter is 5.670)
+ 2.5 * 3 (a penny is 2.5)

Since most scales used for espresso use a 500-gram weight for calibration, you now have a freebie calibration weight.

Max./

Moka 1 Cup

#10: Post by Moka 1 Cup » Jun 17, 2019, 4:28 pm

Samcanadian wrote:Here's a video of the one I purchased. The thing feels VERY premium, and I never would've guessed it was the cheap knockoff version. It's heavy too...I'm not sure how much it weighs, but it's a full pound for sure.
<video>
Thanks for the video. If not to much disturb, would you post a link to the one you purchased. All the ones I can find are with three petals, not four like yours.
four minutes to make an espresso? really?