Are donut shots better - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
DamianWarS (original poster)

#11: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

cmin wrote:I use HQ21 ridgeless primarily, it's nigh impossible to not get donut extraction. Those are large baskets both volume and size (width). I've checked with calipers. Even a 58.5 tamper fits loose, that same tamper in a VST damn near jams and gets stuck. With a paper filter, still Donuts even on the BDB and slowly infusion at low flow and like 2 bar lol.

Love those baskets though
I don't have an HQ21 but from pictures, it's fatter in the middle (more than most). so there's lots of coffee packed in at the sides not directly over the holes which would account for the donut shots. I'm just curious, does the spent puck knock out easy?

NelisB

#12: Post by NelisB »

Cops prefer donut shots

cmin

#13: Post by cmin »

DamianWarS wrote:I don't have an HQ21 but from pictures, it's fatter in the middle (more than most). so there's lots of coffee packed in at the sides not directly over the holes which would account for the donut shots. I'm just curious, does the spent puck knock out easy?
Fairly, but still rinse under sink faucet each time. But have to do that with vsts also so. Leaves a lil more behind than VST 20.

zefkir

#14: Post by zefkir »

cmin wrote:Not sure, but I can say after 10+ years and side by side the HQ21 beats the VST20 easily for taste imo, no matter dose, roast, origin/blend, profiling, anything from a Vario to Monolith Flat etc. I'll pull the vst 20 out once in awhile and put it right back in the drawer, something always taste kinda off with it and always an astringent or really acidic like note. Like I'm pulling a light Burundi right now that's a strawberry wallop, I tried the vst 20 like 15 times and adjusting all around and since it's a fast flow basket kind of turbo shots as well and mehhh, on the HQ21 strawberries for days pulled longer or even ristretto.

Someone other week mentioned how the vst 20 flows far faster than other vst baskets. I have 15 and 18 but their packed up. But I guess makes sense, I've never liked the way that basket flowed or tasted lol. But that was the 1st time all these years saw someone mention how the 20 was designed to be even faster flowing than the 15/18. I don't recall the 15 or 18 being finicky or issues like it that's for sure. I honestly don't really use the HQ14 either since the 21 is such a good and forgiving basket of dose and bean type, I was at 18, 22 and 21g on the last 3 different beans.

Edit - actually I think it was you that was mentioning that? Lol
Yeah, that was me. I do prefer fast flow baskets though, but what you describe with strawberry lasting forever, I get with fast flow baskets rather than slow flow baskets.

Why? I have no idea.

The part about liquid flowing through the puck is objective, what we taste isn't.