Are Barista Training Classes Worth the Money? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jesawdy

#11: Post by jesawdy »

Training? Did someone say training?

You will notice that the HB site sponsors are advocates of coffee education. You will also see that pricing varies greatly. Perhaps you could work something into a trip/vacation if nothing is available in your area.

Please feel free to add information about other training opportunities that you know about.

Here is what I found:

Site Sponsors

Coffee Klatch - link and link, $245 latte art class, $500 day long home barista class, $1800 3-day course, San Dimas, CA

Intelligentsia - link and link, $200 for 3 hours, Chicago, IL (perhaps something in Los Angeles as well?)

PT's Coffee Roasters - link, $1000 for a two-day course, Topeka, KS

Paradise Roasters - link, 3 different 3-hour courses at $100 each, Ramsey, MN

Counter Culture Coffee - link, Several courses at different locations, free, each about 6-7 hours, in NC at Durham, Asheville, Charlotte, also Atlanta, GA and Washington, DC

Great Infusions - link, $15 Coffee Kids donation, lectures and 2 hour jam, Santa Cruz, CA

Others I am aware of:

Murky Coffee - link, Home barista training, 3-hours, $150 for group instruction, $215 for private instruction, Washington, DC

The Roasterie - link, These guys host a MidWest Barista Jam from time to time, Kansas City, MO

Jason Haeger (HB member Jasonian) - link, Tailored training, cost ?, Lubbock, TX
Jeff Sawdy

popeye

#12: Post by popeye »

From my experiences in other competitive avenues, I would have to encourage you to seek the level of training you need. Were you #20 in the USBC? Then you probably need to learn from Heather Perry. Are you a home barista trying to improve your latte art? Undoubtedly Heather Perry can help, but so can a lot of other people for a lot less money. What are you trying to do, and who can help you do that? Then, because we live in a free market, who can competently help you do that for the right amount of money?

Psyd

#13: Post by Psyd »

jesawdy wrote:Others I am aware of:
What am I, chopped liver? Didja miss this post? :D
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

hed1117

#14: Post by hed1117 »

jesawdy wrote:...Counter Culture Coffee - link, Several courses at different locations, free, each about 6-7 hours, in NC at Durham, Asheville, Charlotte, also Atlanta, GA and Washington, DC

Thanks so much for the link.

I live in Miami and a 750 mile trip to Charlotte (one way) still seems like a bargain to attend an all-day training workshop.

I already emailed to reserve a place ':D'

Jasonian

#15: Post by Jasonian »

jesawdy wrote: Jason Haeger (HB member Jasonian) - link, Tailored training, cost ?, Lubbock, TX
Cost is variable for a variety of reasons. Most people don't really know what they need, and I'd rather have them tell me what they need directly rather than having to choose from a list of offered services.

I write up a brand new curriculum custom designed for each and every client, and I have not once ever been told that it wasn't worth the money. (usually, at the end of the day, they feel like it's a bargain)

Usually they come away overwhelmed with information as well, so I usually suggest bringing a pen and paper along, and taking copious amounts of notes during the sessions.

This (the note taking) is true for any training, from any company, so I'd suggest it to anyone paying for training.
"Pro" coffee roaster. Ex barista trainer, competitor, consultant.