Apparently milk does play an important role in microfoam quality! - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
ben8jam

#11: Post by ben8jam »

Organic valley and Clover whole milks can produce perfect microform. I had the same troubles when I got the linea mini, the steam power was just unreal. Lots of bubbles from over aerating. Work on you routine to only introduce a small amount of air and be sure to fully turn off the wand before removing. Also don't let final resting the temp go over 140F

Lower fat milks are easier to steam but they don't taste as creamy :D

[note I don't buy the grass fed organic valley, just the normal whole]

[creative nickname]

#12: Post by [creative nickname] »

Yes, and I have only had problems with the grass fed OV. I agree that their regular milk steams very nicely.
LMWDP #435

Advertisement
spressomon

#13: Post by spressomon »

Marcelnl wrote:is either pasteurized? I reckon that has a large effect on fat distribution and globule size too.
Yes, both milks are pasteurized (not ultra-pasteurized FWIW). When I lived in Monterey we had a wonderful raw milk dairy nearby in Salinas (Schoch Dairy) and I used to buy their whole, raw & non-homogenized milk and it steamed up just fine.

The only milk I've had difficulty (nearly impossible) steaming to good micro-foam is the Organic Valley 100% Grass Fed whole milk: Slayer (the best of the following lot at being able to get marginally acceptable microfoam though), Londinium, Breville, Bellman, Cremina, PV-Export...you get it.

FWIW, the Organic Valley has a thick cream fat plug when you first open it whereas our local Sandhill Dairy doesn't...

No Espresso = Depresso

forbiddenbeat (original poster)

#14: Post by forbiddenbeat (original poster) »

spressomon wrote:We get local grass fed non-homogenized whole milk in Reno and the flavor is super as well as 'luxe smooth microfoam (Sandhill Dairy). But Organic Valley 100% grass fed non-homogenized whole milk is a challenge to steam and get similar results.
Organic Valley - that's the one I'm using! I'll see if I can find something local, probably better anyway.

chipman

#15: Post by chipman »

Isn't Organic Valley milk 'super-ultra' pasteurized?

Marcelnl

#16: Post by Marcelnl replying to chipman »

what would be that? I only know UHT which seems the synonym for ultra pasteurization which for flavor I don't consider any good at all, including cappuccino...but super ultra ?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/ ... ccounter=1
LMWDP #483

chipman

#17: Post by chipman »

Yes, I meant 'ultra' pasteurization. That process heats the milk up more than normal pasteurization and does mainly nothing more than extend the shelf life.

Advertisement
spressomon

#18: Post by spressomon »

chipman wrote:Isn't Organic Valley milk 'super-ultra' pasteurized?
Not their 100% grass fed variant; other OV milk types are UP though.
No Espresso = Depresso

nuketopia

#19: Post by nuketopia »

Strauss Dairy in the Bay Area, specializes in organic, non-homogenized milk. (aka, cream top).

However, they sell "Barista Milk" to most of the better cafes in the area, but they don't sell it to the public. It is their rich (high fat) milk, homogenized. I'd love to buy it, but it is only sold to restaurants and cafes, not to the public.

Best milk for microfoam:

1. Very fresh, whole milk, homogenized, pasteurized.

I like the Clover Organic, but will swap with the regular Clover or even Whole Foods brand, if it is fresher.

Stuff not to get:

"Ultra-pasteurized" or even worse, shelf-stable aseptic packaged (box) milk. The latter being very much common in Europe.

Tastes cooked.

Also, "lactose free" which isn't. They simply add lactase enzyme to ultra-pasteurized milk. It doesn't breakdown lactose until it gets warm in your tummy. However, the heat of steaming, destroys the enzyme and makes a general mess of it. (I'm lactose intolerant - just take the pill it's easier and works better).

Skim, 1% - which are thin and not very good tasting. 2% is passable, but also thin and honestly, doesn't save enough calories to make it worthwhile versus whole milk. Just make a small cappuccino, like in a standard-sized cup. It tastes better than a bucket of hot milk with bitter espresso dumped in it.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#20: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

nuketopia wrote: 2% is passable, but also thin and honestly, doesn't save enough calories to make it worthwhile versus whole milk. Just make a small cappuccino, like in a standard-sized cup. It tastes better than a bucket of hot milk with bitter espresso dumped in it.
The real benefit for 2% is for those watching the saturated fat. Yes the calorie difference isn't worth it but the saturated fat in one cup is 3 grams vs 5 grams which is significant.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart