Anyone Weigh the Milk?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Nunas

Postby Nunas » Nov 07, 2018, 2:26 pm

Cappuccino and latte drinkers, do you weight the milk? I was making our usual double cappuccinos this morning and thinking about how scientific this hobby has become, compared to when I started many decades ago with a simple Bellman stove-top espresso maker. Weight-based measurement has all but supplanted volumetric dosing for many of us. I now have high end scales to measure the dosage to the nearest tenth of a gram, as well as measure the coffee output. I use these daily. I monitor the pressure and temperature of my shots every time. I measure the temperature of my milk, every time. My 7-270Wi grinder doses dead nuts on within a fraction of a gram. But, this morning I got to thinking, having meticulously measured everything to craft the ideally balanced shots for our palates, I then pour some milk into the foaming jug, more or less to the bottom of the spout, foam it and create my cappuccinos. Hmmmm...why have I never weighed the milk?

nuketopia

Postby nuketopia » Nov 07, 2018, 7:27 pm

Yes I do. I go for about 100g of milk for a capp with 32g of espresso in it. Not all of it winds up in the cup, but 100-110g is perfect for steaming in my Rattleware pitchers.

Why not? I mean the scales are right there. I weigh beans and beverage, why not the milk too.

Postby 691175002 » Nov 07, 2018, 7:46 pm

I haven't considered it because I generally pour to a consistent distance below the spout. I'd give it a shot but I pour and steam my milk while the shot is being extracted so the scale is already in use.

billt

Postby billt » Nov 08, 2018, 4:53 am

I don't weigh it but I use a measured volume, which amounts to the same thing.

The reason to do that is because the DE1 that I'm using has a steam timer feature. If you use a consistent volume the timer will stop steaming at the correct temperature, so you can do something else, like cleaning the group, while the milk is heating.

EvergreenBuzzBuzz

Postby EvergreenBuzzBuzz » Nov 08, 2018, 10:36 am

I'm not 100% precise but these pitchers have vol lines in two places on the insides. My wife likes 4oz, so that's what she gets and as long as there is a light on, I usually get it spot on.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

yakster

Postby yakster » Nov 08, 2018, 4:15 pm

Who measures the density of their milk? :lol:

http://www.mep.net.au/foodlab/FL_5/MEP_DMA35_dairy.pdf
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

rimblas

Postby rimblas » Nov 09, 2018, 10:11 pm

Like Bill I also use a graduated Decent Espresso milk jug, usually 100ml and steam for 23 sec thanks to the steam timer on my DE1PRO. Same volume and steam time yields the same temperature. I love it; repeatable, no waste, and quick.

boren

Postby boren » Nov 10, 2018, 7:41 pm

Yes, I do. I stopped weighing the coffee because my grinder has a timer, but no such option when it comes to milk.