Anyone get ashiness when icing down coffee/espresso?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jasonmolinari

#1: Post by jasonmolinari »

Hey everyone, summer is coming and just had my first iced espresso/latte this past weekend. Just a nice double shot (which tastes great hot), a 1/2 tsp sugar, cooled with some milk, then poured over ice. This particular espresso was Highwire Core, pulled at 199, 14g in and 20g out.

I've noticed with my espressos when i ice them down it seems to bring out a ashy note. Anyone experience this?

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

jasonmolinari wrote:Hey everyone...

I've noticed with my espressos when i ice them down it seems to bring out a ashy note. Anyone experience this?
If they have a Brazil in there, it might have been roasted a tad long.
-----
LMWDP #339

jasonmolinari (original poster)

#3: Post by jasonmolinari (original poster) »

This doesn't seem related to a single blend. I'm pretty sure the problem is me...trying to figure out how to fix it

SlowRain

#4: Post by SlowRain »

I'm not sure it is you. I've found I can drink lots of coffees hot and they taste fine, but as soon as I make iced coffee, they taste burnt. There have been two solutions that have worked for me. 1.) Cool the coffee down slowly. Either make it a few hours ahead of time and let it cool to room temperature naturally, then add ice; or else immerse the coffee an ice bath and stir like crazy. 2.) Use light roasted coffee for iced coffee.

I do number two. I find light roasted coffees very refreshing when iced, but just ho-hum when hot. However, I've never done it with iced espresso. If you want iced espresso, I recommend buying a Nomad espresso machine and using cool water to brew. Now, THAT'S refreshing espresso!

weebit_nutty

#5: Post by weebit_nutty »

I find coffee tastes vastly different at different temperatures. It's kind of a blessing in disguise because in every roast I've ever drank, there's always a temperature that is optimal for its flavor, so if I don't particularly like it, I'll try it at a different temp ( usually cooler) it is almost always improved.

As to this notion of ashiness in icing your brew, I've never gotten that. I'm wondering if you have stale/freezer burnt ice. I always use clear store-bought ice. Ice-maker ice from home fridges are never very good tasting, and most are downright bad.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Mrboots2u

#6: Post by Mrboots2u »

What does the shot taste like at room temp ( no ice etc ) as coffee cools , its flavours open up , perhaps the warmer temp of the espresso is just masking a strong bitter shot .....this then reveals itself at a lower temp , where you are able to taste more flavour and less " hot "

spearfish25

#7: Post by spearfish25 »

weebit_nutty wrote:Ice-maker ice from home fridges are never very good tasting, and most are downright bad.
Especially if you don't use and replenish the carbon filter in the refrigerator. Straight tap water ice can be very unpleasant.

h3yn0w

#8: Post by h3yn0w »

Boldjava wrote:If they have a Brazil in there, it might have been roasted a tad long.
Resting period can sometimes help mute the Ashiness. Try pulling again in 5 days and see if there is improvement.

jasonmolinari (original poster)

#9: Post by jasonmolinari (original poster) »

@slowrain, yes! exactly. I find similar issues with iced brewed coffee too (clever dripper, aeropress). will try cooling slower.

My ice is fresh and tastes good from a fridge with a carbon filter. THat's not the problem

I will let the coffee cool to room temp and try it, and also let it rest a little longer.

thanks guys.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#10: Post by EspressoForge »

This is the reason why I like to pull a cold brew espresso occasionally. It cools very nicely. Hot coffee or espresso cools unpredictably to me.

I use room temp water and pre brew for 10-30 minutes then pull the shot as normal. You may try to pre wet the puck for several minutes, then lock into a cold machine and pull. I do mine differently but this may work on other machines.