Another newbie trying to learn on Starbucks Barista

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
OMark

#1: Post by OMark »

I didn't see this particular problem posted, but if I missed, my apologies (and please just point me to it).

I have a Barista from the 1990s. I hadn't used it in a while, but took it out again. Discovered that Seattle Coffee Gear sells a non-pressurized portafilter replacement for it, so I figured before moving up to a better espresso machine, I should see what I can learn about grinding and tamping on the machine I have.

Using non-pressurized portafilter, tamper, and my existing Baratza Virtuoso grinder, the double shots always come out too fast -- around 12-15 seconds. I tried making the grind finer, tamping harder. It still comes out well before the 25-second mark (let alone 30 seconds). But the result is quite dark, no real crema, and bitter.

I replaced the O-ring on the Barista as well as some other parts (though I couldn't get the brass bushing off, so couldn't replace the spring). It leaks some -- after I stop the shot, water still leaks out the portafilter. Should that matter?

Any suggestions appreciated.

texmachina

#2: Post by texmachina »

How fresh/what kind of coffee are you using? Tell us about your grind and grinder! :)

Scott_G

#3: Post by Scott_G »

Water leaks from the bottom of the portafilter or from the check valve at the dispersion screen? After pulling a shot, the remaining pressure will drop by pushing water through the coffee bed as there's no pressure relief (3-way) solenoid on this machine.

happycat

#4: Post by happycat »

Could be stale coffee

Could also be channeling.

Do you WDT? Weight doses?
LMWDP #603

pcrussell50

#5: Post by pcrussell50 »

Keeping things grassroots... You can gut your stock PF and make it NP too. The *$$ Barista, (I have three of them) extracts at too high a pressure... Essentially the full pressure of the Ulka pump. The Virtuoso might struggle to grind fine enough to slow your extractions down enough. It should have a grinding mechanism which you can mod (by youtube video) for finer grinding. It's pretty easy to do. Learn how to temperature surf your Barista to help find where in it's heating and cooling cycle, you find the best flavor.

Coffee that is more than two weeks since roast becomes progressively harder to dial in. This is hugely important. Hugely.

Draw some inspiration from this (some foul language, f'bombs and s'bombs at the end):
-Peter
LMWDP #553

Andy

#6: Post by Andy »

Here is a link to a vid that shows how to recalibrate for a finer grind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyQ_AywdBRQ

OMark (original poster)

#7: Post by OMark (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'll probably have to recalibrate the Virtuoso; easy enough to do, we'll see if that matters.

I knew that coffee that's been roasted too long ago wouldn't taste as good -- though I'm disappointed to learn that the window is so short! But also I didn't know that the coffee's age could affect the grind. Rats; this is going to be a little more involved than I thought...I'm totally not ready to start roasting my own coffee. (Though I realize I might get there.)

I'll have to let this drop for a bit -- headed for Italy and some great coffee (and gelato)!

pcrussell50

#8: Post by pcrussell50 »

OMark wrote:But also I didn't know that the coffee's age could affect the grind. Rats; this is going to be a little more involved than I thought...I'm totally not ready to start roasting my own coffee. (Though I realize I might get there.)
Unless you live out in the styx, you can find a good third wave coffee house almost anywhere these days, and from there you will be able to buy coffee already roasted with a date on it. Even two months post roast will still be OK, though past prime. But if you only buy 12oz at a time, you will never reach two months old. You don't have to roast. I do it because it's fun and interesting.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

robin416

#9: Post by robin416 replying to pcrussell50 »

Wouldn't freezing extend the usability time of the coffee?

pcrussell50

#10: Post by pcrussell50 replying to robin416 »

I don't know. I always buy beans in small enough quantity and roast in small enough quantity that I've never had to consider freezing.

It's almost as if there is a stratum where people handle bean freshness by buying or roasting beans in small quantities, and handle scale by using scale-free water.

Vice another stratum where people want to handle freshness by freezing and elaborate sealing schemes, and handle scale by descaling.

I don't know which is better. Just observing that these belief systems are out there.

-Peter
LMWDP #553