Alternative Milks

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jyl

#1: Post by jyl »

Any tips for steaming and latte art with alternative "milks"?

Among the non-dairy drinkers, soy "milk" seems to be increasingly disfavored. Almond or other nut "milks" are the mainstream alt-milk, and oat "milk" is the new cool kid.

I haven't had much luck with any of these. They are thin and bland, and for me, they steam into something hot, thin, and tasteless. If I'm lucky, it's at least white rather than grayish. Even when using the "Barista" brand almond "milk" that is supposedly meant for lattes.

What is your technique with alt-milks? Is there anything that can be added to them to help? Which alt-milk is your favorite?

I'm using a 4 hole tip and a 32 oz jug, filled to below the spout indentation, steams to 140F in 10 seconds or so. If it would help, I can try a 2 hole tip.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

Try Oatly Barista version if you can find it. It steams the closest to real milk of any non-dairy milk I've tried.
LMWDP #435

Advertisement
*sigh*

#3: Post by *sigh* replying to [creative nickname] »

Oatly Barista is good, The Barista Oat milk from Califa steams nicely as well. They taste pretty different but both taste pretty good. I much prefer them over any other alt milks I've tried.

chipman

#4: Post by chipman »

besides the Oatly and Califa versions of Oat milk, there is the Barista version of Ripple that is really good.

Montrealer

#5: Post by Montrealer »

My wife likes earths own barista edition oat.

https://earthsown.com/product/earthsown ... taedition/

chipman

#6: Post by chipman »

Interesting. Where is it available? Can it be shipped? The colorful website does not have online ordering system. Unless I missed it somehow.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing replying to chipman »

Earth's Own might not distribute outside Canada. Inside Canada, the brand is carried by at least two of the major nation-wide supermarket chains.

ETA: For Ontarions, Earth's Own Oat Barista Edition just went on sale this week at some/all Real Canadian Super Stores. I'm going to pick up some tomorrow. Kinda shocked at the price, but I'm getting awfully tired of Almond milk.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
Andiamo

#8: Post by Andiamo »

I suppose the question is -- do you want your cappuccinos to taste like coffee, or with a definite e.g. oat / almond / coconut, etc. flavor? After trying many of the other offerings, the only alternative 'milk' I will use is Silk unsweetened original soy. Note that Regular Silk soy milk is sweetened; it will not froth nearly as well and has a peculiar flavor all of its own.

I use a standard frothing wand on my La Pavoni and my wife almost raves at the result.