Aging Coffee and Making Adjustments

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
NYPeter007
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by NYPeter007 »

I was making shots with a fresh coffee and it was tasting perfect. I changed no variables but as the coffee aged a few more days it started pulling a little fast and tasting on the sour side. What would you recommend I do? Should I go with a slightly finer grind, or should I try slightly increasing the dose of coffee used? Thanks for any tips or tricks.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

For me, it depends on how easily your grinder can make and revert small changes.

With my c. 2010 shop grinder, tiny adjustments (bumps) in one direction are easy. However, getting back to where I was if I overshot isn't easy as there is backlash and a bit of stickiness. There I'd be tempted to adjust the grind slightly. With something with smoother adjustment, like a Niche Zero, I'd probably go with the grinder.

NYPeter007 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by NYPeter007 (original poster) »

I have a Mazzer Super Jolly, so the adjustment is manageable.

klee11mtl

#4: Post by klee11mtl »

I have had pretty good success making small grind adjustments as needed however it's a fairly infrequent occurrence. A bag typically lasts me 7-10 days.

You might also consider whether there are other variables involved such as if the beans are being exposed in the hopper or whether you might be having a mix of old and fresh grounds due to retention.

NYPeter007 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by NYPeter007 (original poster) »

I don't have the hopper on it, I measure out every shot I make. I adjusted the grind a hair finer and added a half a gram of beans and hit the sweet spot. Got a 33 gram shot from 16.5 grams in 26 seconds. Great balance.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

Yes. As coffee ages it will require changes. Adjustments in grind, dose, extraction yield even temperature depending on the coffee. As a coffee reaches the end of its service life, typically grinding coarser and dosing more helps. There is a point where simply grinding finer does not work.
Dave Stephens