Adjusting final espresso weight - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
millmountain

#11: Post by millmountain »

Hi Harv, the idea behind the 5-second cups is that the flavor extraction is not constant during the shot. The character of the beans---that which gives it its distinct taste---is usually extracted first, so the first cup is likely to be quite acidic and sweet. As the shot pours the intensity lessens, adding body and texture but also bitterness. The last 5-sec cup is likely to taste weaker and less characteristic. Tasting the contribution of each five-second cup can help you decide how to shorten or lengthen the pull (adjust the yield) to gain more sweetness and acidity, or more texture, body and balance. At least that's how I understand it.

Maak

#12: Post by Maak »

Rustic39 wrote:Hmmm, this "trick" is interesting? Would like to hear more details. Suppose the third cup is terrific but the others are off...what then? And how is this useful in adjusting a new coffee?
Well as mentioned most of the flavour comes early in the pour.

I found I liked the first cup. So much flavour and mouth feel but it was a acidic (hate that) second cup slightly less flavour but more balanced. Third starting to be too thin and weak but still nice. After that....yuk. so I thought the first three together would balance a cup out, forget the rest so I decided to decrease the yield. So it's trendy to have slightly longer shots.

Back when I got my commercial machine (20 yrs) ristretto was popular in our cafe culture in NZ, but I've been swayed by the trend. So I'm back to a shorter drink and loving it more.

I'd do this test Everytime you change bean/roast or dose. It's easy and informative.

Maak

#13: Post by Maak »

Sorry double posted and can't delete...but can edit :D

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#14: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

HotLava wrote:I think if I upped my dose to 18g and made the grind more coarse, I should be able to extract more at a faster brew time. I'm trying to get to 1:1.5. The difficult part is I usually have one chance per day to get it right be sure if I drink several doubles a day I won't sleep. I try to stick to one a day. :shock:
Maybe you can have multiples a day, as one can get some pretty decent decal these days. We roast our own and are amazed what we can get but check out this thread.

Decaf Coffee Suggestions Revisited
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Rustic39

#15: Post by Rustic39 »

Ok, I think I about got it with this multi-cup test. But I'm still sketchy on what to do with what I find by this test,,, if I think the first three cups combined would hit the taste target, that's a combined 15 second pull.
Should I therefore just stop the pull after 15 seconds? And if I think the first 4 cups combined would be good, stop the pull at 20 seconds? I suspect that's not quite the answer. What if the second-forth combined would taste best? Worse still, what if I only like the third cup? Am I supposed to be adjusting the grind to change the pull time based on my findings? Adjust the dose? Seems like there are so many variables, I can't see the forest for the trees.

Maak

#16: Post by Maak »

Rustic39 wrote:Ok, I think I about got it with this multi-cup test. But I'm still sketchy on what to do ?..... I can't see the forest for the trees.
There is not a perfectly accurate answer. Obviously you can only sensibly catch the first part of the pour.

Experiment. Try a smaller yield if you liked the earlier cups. Or longer etc.

Dont be locked into a brew ratio untill you've found it delivers the results you want. If you buy beans from a cafe that gives an exceptional cup with the beans you buy, maybe ask their recipe as a start, but unless you have similar equipment it will never thouglhy work. You have to learn where to adjust your recipe for the weak points in your equipment...given your techniques are good.
Experiment... experience gets a better results.