Accidental discovery. Pulled best ristretto.

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
redbone

Postby redbone » Oct 07, 2018, 12:33 pm

I switched up beans in my grinder and used the previous grind settings. Slight overdose vs my previous double of 18g dose (18.4g). Coffee is a s.o. Brazilian medium roast from Carvalho, green beans from Brazcof.

Using a 3rd gen Faema Faemina I pulled a shot and noticed that the first drops were taking much longer to appear even after pre-infusion indicating too fine a grind. Also shot completion was taking longer. Decided not to do usual second pull in order to achieve desired volume. Removed shot and stirred as usual, let rest and tasted. Shot reminded me of the finest shots I had in Sicily last summer. Thicker than my usual with sweeter notes and more intense caramel flavours. Is it this particular coffee that lends itself to ristretto, has my palate changed or have I been pulling too long and fast considering I use a lever ? A pleasant surprise either way that begs for more experimentation. All this time I stated that I was not fond of ristretto. TIme to rewrite some notes.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Marcelnl

Postby Marcelnl » Oct 07, 2018, 12:51 pm

I cannot answer any of your questions, but I can tell you that what you describe is how I liked my Faemina shots best (with slightly lower dose using a standard 14g basket) and is how I use my Urania too...
LMWDP #483

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Oct 07, 2018, 2:17 pm

Ristrettos from HX pump machines can be nasty, since the slow flow through the HX overheats the water. In a lever, the water is in the group and gradually cooling off to the group's temperature. So a fine ground ristretto is just extracted more rather than cooked. This can improve the flavor of some coffees.
Jim Schulman

redbone

Postby redbone » Oct 07, 2018, 2:26 pm

^^
Good insights. Sounds like this is the lever machine sweet spot. More testing ahead.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » replying to redbone » Oct 07, 2018, 2:52 pm

Machines with saturated groups also pull excellent ristretto shots, at least mine does.
LMWDP 267

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » Oct 07, 2018, 2:53 pm

Congrats! You just discovered the joy of preinfusion with a lever. Had I had my LR a few years ago, I might not have a Slayer, and LR, and CT1 now! It was actually my own experience with Flair that drove me to LR.

Some here are wiser than I, and were assimilated by the LMWDP sooner.

Tonefish

Postby Tonefish » Oct 07, 2018, 8:38 pm

I hear yah! I do morning shots for my wife and I from the HX pump before running off to work, but then my afternoon shots are from the Cremina, and at different grind settings. A couple weeks ago I forgot to switch the grind and had a 63 second shot, post preinfusion. I liked it so much I left it that way for four or five more days until I had a bad one and went back to the convention. Goes to show too, that you should taste EveryThing you pull!

I love it when my goofup makes a goodcup!! Cheers!!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Oct 09, 2018, 10:46 am

Robert, thanks for the inspiration. I just pulled a lovely ristretto of Paradise Coffee Roasters Thailand Doi Pangkorn on the Cafelat Robot, tightening the grind, updosing, and brewing cool, which emphasizes its sweetness and flavor layers. Brew water temp was 188°F filled to near the top of the brim. Dose was 20.5 gm. I used moderate pressure.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

dilin

Postby dilin » Oct 10, 2018, 9:31 pm

I graduated from 5s pre-infusion, to no preinfusion to 20s preinfusion! :D

brianl

Postby brianl » Oct 11, 2018, 10:26 am

drgary wrote:Robert, thanks for the inspiration. I just pulled a lovely ristretto of Paradise Coffee Roasters Thailand Doi Pangkorn on the Cafelat Robot, tightening the grind, updosing, and brewing cool, which emphasizes its sweetness and flavor layers. Brew water temp was 188°F filled to near the top of the brim. Dose was 20.5 gm. I used moderate pressure.

I'll have to try it out with my new robot!

was the 188 after a preheat? was it just one down press?