Acacia Lunar Scale - Phantom Behavior

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
israguard

#1: Post by israguard »

Hi everyone

I bought an Acaia Lunar scale from La Marzocco ages ago. From the moment I took it out of the box I didn't care for it and have been using a BREWISTA instead which I love.

My issue with the Acaia is it's on a flat surface, perfectly level and the digits start going up/down for no reason and nobody not anything is even close to the scale.

The H2O warning starts to flash randomly when it's in a perfectly dry area FAR AWAY from any humidity.

You push a button... and you get genuinely whacky behavior.

Software is the most up to date version.

I'm angry as it wasn't cheap, but shipping back to USA from Canada isn't worth it... but letting it die upsets me. Has anyone else found their Acaia unnecessarily hyper sensitive and strange acting?.

Thanks

kaptain_zero

#2: Post by kaptain_zero »

You might want to check with Eight Ounce Coffee, they do warranty repair on units they have sold and apparently provide replacement batteries and such. At least they are in Canada!

I can't say I've noticed anything odd with mine.... I'm quite happy with it, but I've only had it for a short while.

israguard (original poster)

#3: Post by israguard (original poster) »

Thank you for your reply. I will look into "Eight Ounce Coffee" now.

I found a video on YT which spoke of the issues I have. So at least I know I am not crazy
To be continued... Worst case scenario... I will recycle it.

Stay safe. Shawn

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

In the US, for most electronic products, hidden in the documentation somewhere is a statement about FCC Part 15 an "accept interference" statement. Usually we all ignore it. LED lighting can cause problems with a wide range of other electronic equipment. I've even had a specific battery charger cause a scale from another manufacturer "go nuts". Just one specific model of battery charger, not my other ones. I don't have any evidence that the Acaia Lunar is subject to these problems, but I would definitely see if there is a correlation between strange behavior an operation of other electronics or LED lighting.

Janika79
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Janika79 »

I had exactly the same problem. I contacted Acaia directly and they proposed a few options. Check, whether the upper case touches the lower case or whether your battery is bloated. My battery was bloated. I sent it to Acaia to get the battery exchanged. They told me the scale works fine now. I will have to see, when it arrives at my place. Can report once I have it back. Acaia customer service is excellent.

#6: Post by israguard (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:In the US, for most electronic products, hidden in the documentation somewhere is a statement about FCC Part 15 an "accept interference" statement. Usually we all ignore it. LED lighting can cause problems with a wide range of other electronic equipment. I've even had a specific battery charger cause a scale from another manufacturer "go nuts". Just one specific model of battery charger, not my other ones. I don't have any evidence that the Acaia Lunar is subject to these problems, but I would definitely see if there is a correlation between strange behavior an operation of other electronics or LED lighting.

I took the scale to different floors within my house. And it was just nuts... Insanely hyper sensitive... You touch the on/off button once and it behaves as if you tapped it 7 times. Even the 100 gram weight included for calibration... reads as 102 grams... needless to say.. a real treat.

Now I am doing this just for sport. i have such a bitter taste in my mouth with this machine... Ill spend more than I paid on it for repairs and give it to a Friend. There are many more models out there which honestly don't create such a well known mess.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#7: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Take the advice above and check the battery and whether the top and bottom are touching. Those would be simple solutions and I've seen other people fix theirs based on that. People should not have the scales on the tray when steaming as they are not entirely waterproof from the bottom. My battery ended up bloating as a result of that. After swapping it for a new one I have had no issues and I don't steam with the scale on the tray. I recall that mine was acting similar to yours with the bloated battery.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#8: Post by israguard (original poster) replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

After a drink or two I can be reasonable :lol: . I will open her up tonight and look @ it all and will report back.

Again, thank you all for taking the time.

Warmest regards, Shawn

SteveRhinehart

#9: Post by SteveRhinehart »

The H2O error on a dry scale could indicate that water has gotten onto the touch sensor inside the scale casing. We had that happen at Prima a few times, possibly from steam getting in and condensing. In any case, I'd recommend contacting support@acaia.co for assistance.

#10: Post by israguard (original poster) »

I'd like to ask what I would consider to be "THE QUESTION". Why is there all this nonsense with a scale that costs $300.- Why do 2 of my Brewista models which get rained on occasionally and are used tons... why are they superb and here you have a finiky machine that behaves like a lunatic from moment I opened the box and yet it costs 3 times the price of others. And when you see the repair videos... guys open them inside and there is not much too it.

A battery that gets bloated? Thank goodness they don't explode and set peoples houses on fire.. They use the cheapest and lousiest batteries.

Not trying to be unnecessarily over dramatic... but shyt... this aint right.