7 gram single shot?? Mission impossible! - Page 7

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Jeff
Team HB

#61: Post by Jeff »

A couple of cheap tamper (around US$15 or less), "close, but no cigar":

The Tidaka funnel is stated to be "Passend für alle LM- und VST-1er-Siebe sowie alle Tamper mit maximal 41,0 mm Durchmesser (Trichter-Innendurchmesser 41,2 mm)."

Recaps Dolce Gusto Compatible -- 41.56 mm (ASIN B06XDGSW7L)

Boicafe Coffee Tamper 40mm 41mm, Espresso Tamper -- 41.05 mm (ASIN B091JY9LL5)

Unfortunately the edge has a seemingly significant bevel -- tamper face is on the right

From what I've found, at more affordable prices than the Tidaka tampers at 80€ and up:

Joe Frex bases at around US$15 (plus a handle) "41 mm"

DVG available through various European sources, such as https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/la-marzoc ... 2191-p.asp (somewhere around 20-25€ shipped to the US) 40.8 mm

I also found HeavyTamper, which sells direct or through eBay ($44 delivered US), but haven't gotten more than "it fits the basket" for size in response to my first question about size.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#62: Post by baldheadracing »

I ended up with two Tidaka tampers (40.95mm and 41.00mm on my calipers), but they're too heavy to economically ship.

Given that you are in the USA, the tamper guy on ebay (coffeecomplements) has 40.7mm bases for the VST-7 and he also does custom sizes. He can thread the top of the base for pretty much any tamper handle like a Reg Barber, or he has handles. (I've never used him as I am in Canada.)

ETA: I just noticed Alperwood (Virginia, USA) on Etsy has some designs that he'll do a custom diameter down to 38mm. I've bought custom diameter tampers from him before with an Aluminium base and he's been very accurate. For example (he has all kinds of handle designs): https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/2658604 ... sso-tamper (This link is for Etsy Canada, but should automatically switch to Etsy USA, etc.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada
★ Helpful

Jeff
Team HB

#63: Post by Jeff »

With a couple surprisingly good shots (medium-light roast Kenyan from LeverCraft) with the mid-era LM1 ("precision", straight sided), I'm trying to get a Tidaka funnel. Looking for some information, I came across a previous post, with full credit where it is due (amusingly, around a Compak K10, my other grinder)
ash4889 wrote:Here is a video [Doug] found

baldheadracing
Team HB

#64: Post by baldheadracing »

Just so you know, the Tidaka 41mm funnel will, for lack of a better term, "leak" a very few grounds if (and only if) you WDT vigorously. One can ignore those few grounds, but I tap the portafilter to get the stray grounds back onto the puck and tamp again (lightly).

Note Melanie at Tidaka can ship a small- or medium-height funnel through the mail to the USA/Canada for low-cost shipping. (The tall size is too big for the mail and has to go courrier at much greater cost.)
★ Helpful

Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#65: Post by Shawnaks5 »

So I received my 41mm tamper yesterday and the Tidaka funnel today. Fast shipment on them both.

Below is link to a video of my 2nd try using them. I definitely like this combination and am looking forward to some singles!

Tamping is gonna take some getting used to. Definitely not a level tamp in this video.

I was hoping the medium funnel would fit the Ultra and it's perfect so that's a plus.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0NeRNez ... ughesville
★ Helpful

Jeff
Team HB

#66: Post by Jeff »

The medium-size was the trick, dropping the shipping from the absurd on the large to a grand total, including all fees paid to Tidaka, of 48.05€ (under 10€ in shipping and fees).

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#67: Post by Peppersass »

baldheadracing wrote:Just so you know, the Tidaka 41mm funnel will, for lack of a better term, "leak" a very few grounds if (and only if) you WDT vigorously.
This is true, but it occurs only if you WDT all the way to the bottom of the basket.

I grind into a cup, shake the grounds to mix, WDT the grounds in the cup, put the Tidaka funnel on top of the cup, put the PF on top of the funnel, invert the whole assembly, shake the grounds to level, then WDT just the upper portion of the grounds. Mainly that's to even the distribution and make sure the grounds are spread all the way to the edges of the funnel for a good seal. That, along with a small deperession I leave in the center of the puck, eliminates halo extractions.

[OK, that's a lot of WDT, and I'm not really a believer that beautiful pours make for great shots. Probably not necessary to WDT the upper part of the grounds, just go to distribution, but it only takes a few seconds.]

baldheadracing
Team HB

#68: Post by baldheadracing »

Peppersass wrote:This is true, but it occurs only if you WDT all the way to the bottom of the basket.
[OK, that's a lot of WDT, and I'm not really a believer that beautiful pours make for great shots. Probably not necessary to WDT the upper part of the grounds, just go to distribution, but it only takes a few seconds.]
On the other hand, ugly pours (spritzes in particular) are never great.

I like to think of the process as changing the odds. I can grind directly into the Tidaka funnel/single basket/portafilter and then tamp, but I'll get a spritz about 1 in 15-20 single shots; which for me works out to about once a week. Avoiding a spritz once a week is enough incentive for me to add in full WDT and deal with a few stray grounds.

(As an aside, the odds of spritzing seem to be correlated with the quality of (green) coffee and roast degree. Darker roasts and less-dense coffees seem much less likely to punish less-than-fastidious prep.)

DamianWarS

#69: Post by DamianWarS »

Peppersass wrote:OK, that's a lot of WDT, and I'm not really a believer that beautiful pours make for great shots. Probably not necessary to WDT the upper part of the grounds, just go to distribution, but it only takes a few seconds.
baldheadracing wrote:On the other hand, ugly pours (spritzes in particular) are never great...
where beautiful looking shots don't mean tasty shots they do mean evenly extracted shots (or at least more evenly extracted shots), the tastiness depends on how well it is dialed in (dialed in to taste of course). spritzing or visually channeled shots may still be tasty they will just probably be less consistently tasty back to back. a dialed in visually even extracted shot will pull more consistent than a dialed in visually channeled shot. but channeling of course can be caused from things other than poor puck prep things like various basket/showscreen problems or a machine that isn't level. you can WDT all you want but if your showerscreen is blocked on one side you're going to have channels. With everything the lighter the roast and more consistent the grind it's all the more noticeable which is probably why it's more of a trending conversation now than it has historically been.

henri

#70: Post by henri »

Interesting thread! I also prefer Italian-style espresso and have moved to using the LM1 exclusively, usually dosing 8 grams.
giboja wrote:If it works without funnel it can be winner. Otherwise, with funnel and my Mignon Specialita may be tricky to get it work direct to PF.
Wiedemann here in Germany make a special funnel for the LM1+Mignon combo that has one side of the funnel upper wall cut out to accommodate the grinder's exit chute. I haven't tried it myself but in theory it should make direct-to-portafilter grinding possible and thus simplify the workflow a bit. I'd be curious to hear if anyone's given it a try.