7 gram single shot?? Mission impossible! - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by Shawnaks5 »

baldheadracing wrote:The new one is/was called "advanced" and sometimes "stainless steel advanced."

The newer-style basket that I received from La Marzocco Home USA had part number F.3.053 on the invoice (a.k.a. F3053 for searching)

Other La Marzocco part numbers are:
L115/A or L115A - I think - think - that this is the (old?) LM1.
F3029 - stainless steel 7g basket
F3029S - stainless steel Strada 7g basket.
Thanks Craig!

Bean Counter

#42: Post by Bean Counter »

For additional reference:

This is the "F3029 - stainless steel 7g basket" according to the manual/specs when shipped with the machine.

DamianWarS

#43: Post by DamianWarS »

Shawnaks5 wrote:Thanks! Is the newer one also called "LM1"? I haven't been able to find a basket with this name.
this thread may interest you:

Tamper for La Marzocco single baskets

the first/left side picture you posted is referenced in the thread as the LM1. I noticed the amazon listing uses the part number L115/A, I don't know what the other part numbers are but "swift" baskets or ending with the letter "S" (ex. L115AS) from what I understand are compatible with the LM's swift grinder and other than that are nothing special. noted in that thread as well is that the LMLM comes with a 2 sided tamper the smaller end to be used with single baskets but it seems with a fairly convex tamping surface

happycat

#44: Post by happycat »

This thread inspired me to make 7g lungos on my Flair. I started with the intention of a 7g shot and ended with a lungo.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed them. Thanks!

EDIT: hit the sweet spot for a 7g espresso normale on the Flair. Nice! I am a fan.
LMWDP #603

Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by Shawnaks5 »

DamianWarS wrote:this thread may interest you:

Tamper for La Marzocco single baskets

the first/left side picture you posted is referenced in the thread as the LM1. I noticed the amazon listing uses the part number L115/A, I don't know what the other part numbers are but "swift" baskets or ending with the letter "S" (ex. L115AS) from what I understand are compatible with the LM's swift grinder and other than that are nothing special. noted in that thread as well is that the LMLM comes with a 2 sided tamper the smaller end to be used with single baskets but it seems with a fairly convex tamping surface
Thanks for the information Andrew! This thread has definitely gotten me interested in exploring singles more. I have the double sided LM tamper and the smaller side does measure 41mm and it is convex shaped. I played around with both baskets yesterday. I can definitely see where a funnel will make a huge difference. I'm not a fan of how long it takes to prep the puck. My best results so far are with the deeper single basket (which is the older one and called the LM1 from what everyone is saying). I really appreciate all the info on this thread!

I noticed the LM tamper does not fit well into the newer basket (see photos) which is another reason I think I had better results with the LM1. I only pulled like four shots though. I think I'm gonna break down and order that funnel because I really like having the option for single shots and I don't think I would make too many of them without a funnel.

DamianWarS

#46: Post by DamianWarS replying to Shawnaks5 »

Have you tried a 3D printed option? It's not for everyone but they are a lot cheaper. Here's a funnel I found on thingiverse for the LM1

Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#47: Post by Shawnaks5 replying to DamianWarS »

No I haven't tried a 3D printed funnel. Thanks for the suggestion! I went ahead and ordered the Tidaka Funnel though. I think I'd rather have the metal version.

Jeff
Team HB

#48: Post by Jeff »

Just to add to the part-number confusion...

From https://lamarzoccousa.com/wp-content/up ... 5COLOR.pdf

L115/A/S SINGLE FILTER FILTRO A 1 TAZZA SINGOLO\DOPPIO
F.3.053 FILTER BASKET 7G S/S ITALIAN VERSION FILTRO 7G INOX VERSIONE ITALIA
F.3.054 7g HIGH PRECISION ITALIAN FILTER STRADA 7G FILTRO ITALIA ALTA PRECISIONE STRADA

From https://www.lamarzoccousa.com/wp-conten ... 2.1_EN.pdf

F.3.029 Precision filter basket 7gr (single)

I received a part claimed to be La Marzocco #F.3.029 from an Amazon Marketplace vendor that is printed (or may be etched) "la marzocco 7g" and appears very similar to that in Bean Counter's photos.

aleks

#49: Post by aleks »

This is the thread I have been looking for.

I also am obsessed with brewing perfect single (I am from Torino, and the word "coffee" there is synonym of 7g in / 20ml out perfect espressos with no bitterness at all. They are ubiquitous, yet the hardest to pull at home. Coffee shops - we call them "bars" - usually pull them as two separate doubles, or as singles, interchangeably. They always taste awesome and consistent and cost 1 euro). I want to solve the ultimate enygma, or as you call it, the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.

Let me recap what we know so far:
- best basket LM single new
- ideal dosage 7-7.5g (this was confirmed by my local Italian baristas)
- estraction around 22-25 seconds
- yield around 20g (or 20mL as we say here). Could be less for ristretto.

My questions are, given that I can do manual flow control and change opv/pressure:

1- what is the ideal pressure at the puck? I'm guessing a bit lower than 9 bar, since this coffee style is very old and used to be done with lever machines, as many have mentioned
2- what is the best flow control/pressure profile? Maybe reduce pressure over time to improve extraction at the end delaying blonding? I get blonding too early
3- what is the ideal pre-infusion in time and pressure? (I can tweak that with my BDB as I like. Currently 5 secs at 50% pump pressure of 10bars, but I get soft pucks at the end)
4- what is the ideal tamping pressure with this new LM basket? It's such a gray area. you can press a lot or just flatten things out. This has been discussed at nauseam but I fail to see a clear guideline
5- any ideal beans that are more forgiving? Obviosuly here in Italy they are standard Northern Italian roasts

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out, and thank you for creating this thread!!

Jeff
Team HB

#50: Post by Jeff »

aleks wrote:I also am obsessed with brewing perfect single (I am from Torino, and the word "coffee" there is synonym of 7g in / 20ml out perfect espressos with no bitterness at all.
A huge amount of this is likely due to the expertise of Italian roasters in preparing blends and roasts intended for the Italian expectations and equipment. I'd definitely check out The hunt for best Italian roasted coffee beans and Saka Caffè in the States

Assuming you're working with an appropriate blend and roast...

I think there are at least three "eras" of LM singles, the old-school stamped ones, the "precision", 41-mm ones, and the new ones. My take on it is that the 41-mm ones are preferred by at least some users over the new ones.

20 mL with crema is going to be significantly less than 20 g. I would guess somewhere closer to 15 g. Going by weight is a lot more repeatable than volume.

With darker roasts, such as classic "espresso" roasts, extended preinfusion may bring out unwanted bitterness. I have found "no" preinfusion to provide better balance with US-style "espresso" blends than explicit delay for preinfusion.