7 gram single shot?? Mission impossible! - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Jeff
Team HB

#31: Post by Jeff »

Note also a lever machine, which tends to have a lower peak extraction pressure than typical, pump-driven machines, as well as a declining pressure profile.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by baldheadracing »

giboja wrote:So, checked the bar and they are using 9grams, Marzocco, single basket, with 9.5 grams coffee for italian style ristretto some 15-20ml coffee. Tamper is 58 flat.
I have that basket as well. My opinion is that it doesn't taste as good as the new LM that I linked to or the old LM-style that has been mentioned numerous times now. It is more likely to side-channel in my vibration pump machines than those two others - although when it does, the shot is still barely drinkable.

"The Single" also produces a different taste in the cup compared to a double basket. Quite a few years ago, Chris Coffee did a video that explains the taste differences:
ETA: For those using WDT tools with thin tines, I find using about half the tines works better with the 41mm baskets, e.g., 7 or 8 with 58mm baskets, 3 or 4 with 41mm. YMMV.

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by Shawnaks5 »

samuellaw178 wrote:Just to chime in my 2 cent here...I've been using the original LM 7g basket (with 8-9g dose) daily for years now. It works so well that I don't use/miss any of the double baskets at all. The 41mm tamper is a must and a specially-made funnel (got mine from Tidaka) makes it super easy to use. The funnel was a bit of an 'investment' decision initially (I don't want it to end up being another thing that stay unused in the drawer), so I trialed using the 7g basket exclusively for a few months with a make-shift funnel and tamper. It worked so well for our coffee consumption pattern (2-5 coffees per morning between me and my partner) and so I pulled the trigger to order a proper funnel & tamper. Probably one of my best purchases (for our need) and have never looked back since.

The tamper+funnel combo works just as well as it did on my old commercial 58 mm lever machine as well as the Linea Mini (so it should work for any 58mm machines). The other single baskets worked to some extent (gets you coffee) but none comes close to the original LM 7g basket with the 41mm tamper+funnel combo in terms of the shot extraction/quality (I've wasted enough money in alternative single baskets that could've easily paid for the 41mm funnel+tamper set). If I were to do it again, I would just "do it once and do it right".

If you need to use a double basket to pull a bigger shot for any reason, you can just switch over and most often than not I find that I can pull a shot using double basket without even having to touch the grinder setting.

Good luck!
Hi Sam! Do you have a link to the Tadaka funnel and the 41mm tamper?

giboja (original poster)

#34: Post by giboja (original poster) » replying to Shawnaks5 »

samuellaw178
Team HB

#35: Post by samuellaw178 »

^That's the one!

For the tamper, I don't recommending getting their board tamper (it's not ergonomic at all). Instead I am actually using a cheaper one from Blue Star Coffee:
https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/la-marzoc ... 2191-p.asp

giboja (original poster)

#36: Post by giboja (original poster) » replying to samuellaw178 »

Thanks for advice, now waiting for Lm1 and 41 tamper

Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by Shawnaks5 »

samuellaw178 wrote:^That's the one!

For the tamper, I don't recommending getting their board tamper (it's not ergonomic at all). Instead I am actually using a cheaper one from Blue Star Coffee:
https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/la-marzoc ... 2191-p.asp
Thanks for the help! So I found these two baskets in my collection yesterday. Which one is the newer model? Is either of these the "LM1"?
★ Helpful

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by baldheadracing »

Older on your left; newer on your right.

The LM Strada basket and the VST-7 are like the older, but a bit more square

- from What's the best single basket.

LF LM clone and VST-7:
★ Helpful

Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#39: Post by Shawnaks5 »

baldheadracing wrote:Older on your left; newer on your right.

The LM Strada basket and the VST-7 are like the older, but a bit more square
Thanks! Is the newer one also called "LM1"? I haven't been able to find a basket with this name.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#40: Post by baldheadracing » replying to Shawnaks5 »

The new one is/was called "advanced" and sometimes "stainless steel advanced."

The newer-style basket that I received from La Marzocco Home USA had part number F.3.053 on the invoice (a.k.a. F3053 for searching)

Other La Marzocco part numbers are:
L115/A or L115A - I think - think - that this is the (old?) LM1.
F3029 - stainless steel 7g basket
F3029S - stainless steel Strada 7g basket.
★ Helpful