7 gram single shot?? Mission impossible! - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Bean Counter

#11: Post by Bean Counter »

Hi,

I've had some success with the 7gm LM basket using a medium-dark blended bean. 7g in and about 14 out. Using the smaller diameter side of the LM tamp - filling in only the centre section of the LM basket making use of my finger to go around the rim to push all the grinds into the middle - works a treat!

giboja (original poster)

#12: Post by giboja (original poster) »

Auctor wrote:It doesn't look like it. Unfortunately there are no markings on my basket - i can only tell you that it came stock with my Synchronika, and the basket walls aren't completely flat like the Decent. In analyzing three baskets more carefully (IMS 8/10, Decent 10/12, and the ECM Double), I can tell you that the IMS has the least amount of holes and the greatest sloping walls. But it's "taller" than the Decent 10/12, which has no sloped walls but the MOST holes. This is just me extrapolating now, but it seems what works for the ECM is a very slight sloping and a medium number of holes, combined with a nice puck height.

Edit: I think I found a pic of the ECM basket.

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/40239- ... ent=573299
That pic reminded me to my other LELIT basket, 14-18 gramm.
I just tried it with 12 gram coffee and it came out perfect. Nice crema and taste from medium Geminga.
Still to strong and 4-5 gram waste of coffee.

giboja (original poster)

#13: Post by giboja (original poster) »

Bean Counter wrote:Hi,

I've had some success with the 7gm LM basket using a medium-dark blended bean. 7g in and about 14 out. Using the smaller diameter side of the LM tamp - filling in only the centre section of the LM basket making use of my finger to go around the rim to push all the grinds into the middle - works a treat!
That sounds good.
If it works without funnel it can be winner. Otherwise, with funnel and my Mignon Specialita may be tricky to get it work direct to PF.

I will order LM basket and tamper to give it a try. THANKS

baldheadracing
Team HB

#14: Post by baldheadracing »

Myself, I have to use a funnel with a 41mm basket. Too much futzing around otherwise for me.

There is also this:

La Marzocco new single baskets?
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

giboja (original poster)

#15: Post by giboja (original poster) replying to baldheadracing »

This will be simplest solution if it works!

Anyone??

baldheadracing
Team HB

#16: Post by baldheadracing replying to giboja »

Yes, it works. I've had one for a couple years now.

I just pulled out my "new-style" La Marzocco single basket and pulled a shot, 7.7g in, 17.5g out, Aida Batlle Selection washed; a "hard-to-pull" light Nordic-style roast.

The main thing with that basket is to use just enough coffee so one is not tamping directly on the sloped sides of the basket. (Hence my use of a 7.7g dose with that particular coffee.)

I personally do not use the "new-style" basket as I prefer using the Tidaka funnel, Tidaka tamper, and older-Strada-style baskets. However, if I didn't want to use that setup for some reason, then I would use the "new-style" LM single over the other 58mm single baskets that I have accumulated over the years.

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

samuellaw178
Team HB

#17: Post by samuellaw178 »

Just to chime in my 2 cent here...I've been using the original LM 7g basket (with 8-9g dose) daily for years now. It works so well that I don't use/miss any of the double baskets at all. The 41mm tamper is a must and a specially-made funnel (got mine from Tidaka) makes it super easy to use. The funnel was a bit of an 'investment' decision initially (I don't want it to end up being another thing that stay unused in the drawer), so I trialed using the 7g basket exclusively for a few months with a make-shift funnel and tamper. It worked so well for our coffee consumption pattern (2-5 coffees per morning between me and my partner) and so I pulled the trigger to order a proper funnel & tamper. Probably one of my best purchases (for our need) and have never looked back since.

The tamper+funnel combo works just as well as it did on my old commercial 58 mm lever machine as well as the Linea Mini (so it should work for any 58mm machines). The other single baskets worked to some extent (gets you coffee) but none comes close to the original LM 7g basket with the 41mm tamper+funnel combo in terms of the shot extraction/quality (I've wasted enough money in alternative single baskets that could've easily paid for the 41mm funnel+tamper set). If I were to do it again, I would just "do it once and do it right".

If you need to use a double basket to pull a bigger shot for any reason, you can just switch over and most often than not I find that I can pull a shot using double basket without even having to touch the grinder setting.

Good luck!

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by DamianWarS »

giboja wrote:Hi all

I need help to achieve 7-9 grams single shot espresso.
It can be 9 gramm, no problem, but it should be easy simple solution.

I have new Lelit Elizabeth, my first manual/semi manual espresso machine and cant get anywhere near consistent single shot 7-9 gramm espresso.

Main problem is tamping, I have 2 single dose baskets:
Original Lelit single ridgeless, 7 grams basket
and
IMS Marzocco Competition Filter Basket 7/9g - B701TH26.5E

Tampers are:
58,5 flat
57 flat
49.5 flat

If I dose Lelit 7 gram basket enough for 57-58.5 tamper to be able to compress the coffee (9gramm app), it stacks to shower screen.
If I dose less, tamper just cant get deep enough in basket to compress the coffee.

With marzocco ridged basket situation is the quite the same.

I try to first tamp with 58 tamper and with 49 tamper in center and that solution works the best but it is inconvenient and hard to repeat the sam.

I did read about LM basket and funnel but that is again too complicated.

Is there any other solution for simple single shot espresso or I bought wrong machine??

Thanks
BH has an interesting blog regarding single baskets which may help some of your thinking. It seems in the industry (outside of Italian) double shots are the norm, so much so that if you want a single you spout a double into two cups. It may defeat the purpose buy have you consider just doing that?

Black-Wolf

#19: Post by Black-Wolf »

Here in Portugal the 7g is also the norm. If you ask for a "cafe" anywhere you will get a 7g espresso :)

It's part of the culture, every meal ends with it

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by Peppersass »

I use the Tidaka 7g funnel with a 7g IMS basket and a 41mm tamper. The funnel works well with a VST 7g basket, too, but the flow rate of the IMS basket works a little better with my grinder for some coffees.

I understand that you don't want a complicated solution, but sometimes to get the best espresso you have to do a little more work. For me, it's worth the effort.

If you want really simple, just use a double basket with a double-spouted portafilter and split the shot. Yeah, that's a problem for three shots, but you have to compromise somewhere in this equation.