7 gr single shot. Should I practice with a single cup or double cup filter? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
bean2lips

Postby bean2lips » Feb 08, 2019, 2:43 pm

I'll be following this, having started (recently) with higher bar machines that keep the grounds close to the screen, (grounds or ese pods). I also have a Baby Class Gaggia (2011) and have a Classic OPV on the way for it, but presently have difficulty using 7 gram shots with a Marcozzo single shot basket (or even the pressurized basket it came with).

I started with a Mueller Nespresso, picked up a Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista, a Saeco Royal Super Automatic ($100, needed fixing) and a tired ECM 2 group Michaelangelo awaits cleanup and testing (another $100 machine) as well as the Baby Class.

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Feb 08, 2019, 10:02 pm

walt_in_hawaii wrote:I've always assumed the individual vial thing was a cute phase. I believe the beans live better all together in the same bag rather than as portions in small bottles, but it might just be my nose playing tricks on me. My coffee is usually no more than about 2 weeks old, older than that and I start to get spritzes, so it gets thrown out.

Bret wrote:I use the glass bean cellars, and routinely get 3-4 weeks with no spritzes, maybe a tiny adjustment for finer grind the last week or so. The usable storage time could be longer but I use up all of the beans by then, no waste.

Well, I agree they are cute. But I have to give it a try. Not as technical as the bean cellar but this is what I had.
Plus the Nespresso "fish bowl" has found a new purpose :lol: .

14g of Illy Medium Roast in each bottle.

four minutes to make an espresso? really?

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 02, 2019, 7:36 pm

I really have to thank all the people that in this thread and in others as well, recommended buying the Tidaka 7gr kit.
I received it today and I put it immediately to work. It's amazing.

Even if a 7g basket was included I wanted to try it with the La Marzocco filter that I already had. Here few pictures of the two baskets side by side. Tidaka on the left, La Marzocco on the right.

Illy Medium Roast, 7.0g.

Before:

After (Gaggia Classic @ 8.5 bar, temperature unknown):

Espresso lungo. I'm a happy man now :mrgreen:

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 03, 2019, 12:15 am

At the end three out of four of the lungo's that I pulled this evening, the puck appeared like this, dislodged (my second one was just a soapy mess :lol: ). Iassume it's due to the fact that the puck is not hold in position by the shower screen at the end of the shot.

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 03, 2019, 11:05 pm

Today I played some more with the Tidaka kit, and the La Marzocco filter. I used only Illy dark roast, 7gr.
At the end I was able to eliminate the bubbles and to get several perfect shots, 26gr in about 20-23 sec. I reduced the ground size and made sure to press more and more evenly. Excellent flavor, very bitter dark chocolate with zero acidity.
Here is a picture of the last shot.

Then I wanted to try the Tidaka basket. I made two shots without making any adjustments on the grinder, and the result was similar for both. I started to see few bubbles again but the flavor was comparable to the ones obtained with the La Marzocco. I could not tell any difference other than for the slightly lighter color of the crema and the bubbles.

As side note, while the La Marzocco filter fit perfectly inside the Gaggia portafilter (it's snug and I had to use a kitchen knife to take it off), the Tidaka filter does not stay in place unless you keep it pressed down. I would say that the LM filter seems to be better built.

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Mar 04, 2019, 2:05 am

Monte,

Thanks for taking the time to document and post your single-basket experience!

I also did not notice too much difference in terms of taste between the Strada/precision basket and Tidaka/normal basket. Are you using a bottomless portafilter? I noticed that the LM Strada basket has a tiny bit more tendency to channel, but it's really a tiny difference we're talking about here.

Re your Tidaka basket popping out, it's almost certainly due to the tight portafilter spring. If you want to use the Tidaka basket, you can adjust it by taking the spring out and bending/rounding it slightly.

I know your goal is to pull 7g shot.... :lol: For singles, I noticed that 1g dose difference is enough to affect the taste significantly (compared to double basket). So if you have the chance, I highly recommend to updose to 8.5g (coarsen the grind a bit), and cut the shot when it blonds (around 18-22g gram shot weight for me), with around 25-32s shot time. That can give you thicker body, more flavours and still maintain the balance. But considering we have different equipment/roast, it's possible YMMV. :D

Enjoy!

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 04, 2019, 10:40 am

samuellaw178 wrote:....
Are you using a bottomless portafilter?
Enjoy!

It's interesting that you mentioned channeling. I don't have a bottomless portafilter, so my evaluation was just a guess but I thought that the bubbles I saw with the first shots were mainly due to channeling. See the pictures below.
By the way, this morning after the shot I pulled with the Tidaka filter, the puck had maybe nine or ten micro-holes. Unfutunately I did not take a picture of the puck.
Tomorrow I will receive a new espresso machine, including a naked portafilter.

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 05, 2019, 8:34 pm

I received my new Breville BDS920XL today. After flushing it and making cappuccino for the family (we had to celebrate!), I tried a single.

I used the La Marzotto single shot basket and the Tidaka funnel. Stirred the coffee before tamping.
Illy Medium Roast, 8.5g. Unfortunately I did not check the time nor the weight at the end.
Here are some pictures, maybe somebody can tell me if it is good or bad, or give suggestions, I honestly do not have a clue :roll: . This was my third shot with the Breville, and my very first shot with a naked portafilter.
I can only say that the taste was OK. Not exceptional but I liked. Plus I was super happy because I was really afraid that I was going to see coffee spitting everywhere from the basket (I used a cappuccino cup, just in case....).

mathof

Postby mathof » replying to Moka 1 Cup » Mar 06, 2019, 5:00 am

Looks good to me.

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » replying to mathof » Mar 06, 2019, 11:55 am

Thank you. I was wondering if having the flow starting form the perimeter is typical of these smaller baskets. I don't think I have seen it happening on videos posted online when using regular double baskets.

Here is another example with a shot I took later.