3D printed riser for Acaia Lunar to get cup closer to bottomless portafilter.

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
jchung

Postby jchung » Apr 14, 2018, 8:13 pm

Finally got around to making a riser/platform for the Acaia Lunar so that the cup is closer to the bottom of the bottomless PF. Without the spouts, there is a lot of space and a long drop for the espresso before it reaches the cup. This will cut that distance quite a bit.

jchung

Postby jchung » Apr 15, 2018, 8:38 am

Designed to be stackable...

wholemilklatte

Postby wholemilklatte » Apr 15, 2018, 8:17 pm

Looks great! the only thing i'd be concerned with is water/coffee will pool in the bottom it. I know the luna is water resistant (proof?) I wouldn't want it to sit in water too much.

you could print them as rings (with center material removed) as long as it didn't inhibit the scale's ability to work properly. that'd let it drain.

jchung

Postby jchung » Apr 15, 2018, 11:29 pm

wholemilklatte wrote:Looks great! the only thing i'd be concerned with is water/coffee will pool in the bottom it. I know the luna is water resistant (proof?) I wouldn't want it to sit in water too much.

This is the second response I've gotten with concerns about the Lunar sitting in water/coffee. I was a little surprised by this as I've never had an issue with the bottom of the Lunar getting wet. But then I pull the Lunar off the drip tray before I clear the shower screen. Perhaps you guys don't? Or perhaps others do a higher volume of shots than I do? I usually pull four double shots a day at most. Two for my wife and two for me.

Anyway.... I can see how it might be a concern for some people under some circumstances. So I've added drainage holes. Nine under the Lunar and twelve around the surrounding wall. Unfortunately I appear to have developed a clog in my 3D printer and won't be able to print out a new one until I get the clog fixed.

I've also uploaded the design to Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2863974