The $2.50 WDT tool - revisited - let's see yours - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Moxiechef »

Tonefish wrote:Looks great! Thanks for the part info too. I didn't know they sold things like that. I've been prepping for a drilled and turned one too and will definitely check these out.
I set out to make an affordable version of the Londinium WDT Tool. https://londiniumespresso.com/store/acc ... ution-tool

The wires were like $6 for 50 of them.

MB

#12: Post by MB »

For those without turning skills that are considering these, you can find some pretty nice cabinet knobs and modify them as I posted not too long ago. Then just a bit of epoxy or in this case JB Weld in the hole.

LMWDP #472

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Moxiechef »

MB wrote:For those without turning skills that are considering these, you can find some pretty nice cabinet knobs and modify them as I posted not too long ago. Then just a bit of epoxy or in this case JB Weld in the hole.

<image>
Cool idea. With the Cabela's Looped Wire Shafts and a trip to Home Depot, you could knock out quite a few tools for pretty cheap and easy.

dsc

#14: Post by dsc »

Here's mine from 2007:

Back then I mentioned it a few times on HB and was told that it probably breaks more than it fixes and that I shouldn't be using it :lol:

Btw those were also the times when I couldn't figure out why my single dosed Mazzer Major isn't producing good shots without premixing the grinds properly...took me only 10 years to understand what was going on :oops:

T.

Tonefish (original poster)

#15: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

dsc wrote:Here's mine from 2007:

<image>

Back then I mentioned it a few times on HB and was told that it probably breaks more than it fixes and that I shouldn't be using it :lol:

Btw those were also the times when I couldn't figure out why my single dosed Mazzer Major isn't producing good shots without premixing the grinds properly...took me only 10 years to understand what was going on :oops:

T.
Holy Moly, looks more like a weapon! :lol:
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

dsc

#16: Post by dsc »

Comes as a kit with a shield :lol:

T.

mkrissel

#17: Post by mkrissel »

Perger has a version..,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS0c3ZCtVZs

Also has a multi part distribution tool series on the same channel.

#18: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

mkrissel wrote:Perger has a version..,

Something tells me that will not cost anywhere near $2.50. :lol:

#19: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

mkrissel wrote:Perger has a version..,

After thinking about this a bit, that approach seems to be more focused on creating an even distribution of channel paths versus the typical WDT focus on homogeneity of the grounds. I saw that tool in one of his presentation, video blog type things ... or maybe it was a class ....

So does he do WDT first, then doze it, then channel it with the tool in the video, and finally tamp? Seems that would make a series of slightly weaker paths in an attempt to force more even distribution. IF that is true then it may facilitate a finer grind too, but then you'd want more paths ... etc. I wonder if he is judging purely on taste or if he's measuring extraction, or other parameters?

Bret

#20: Post by Bret »

I recently got the Londinium distribution tool, and it really is effective. I had tried toothpicks, skewers, etc., and then the tool provided with my Monolith (a single metal pin, no sharp point). The tool that came with the Monolith was sort of 'randomly effective' in the sense that I could tell things were better using it than not, but it was not consistent.

So I sprung for the Londinium puppy, and it is extremely consistent and more effective than any other approach I have tried. In every case, the drops form evenly, simultaneously across the bottomless portafilter/basket.

One thing that may not be apparent by just looking at photos of the tool is that the wires are thin and flex quite a bit as you stir. So when creating one's own version of the tool, rigid wire stock might not yield the same results. Or it might. But if you are trying to 'clone' a version of the tool, thin wire stock that flexes in use would be a better starting point.

In terms of value for the buck, though, I would say that the Londinium tool is a surprisingly good value in case folks are not inclined to make their own tool. I would say it and the LevTamp are two of the three best purchase I have made in the last few years, the other being the Monolith Flat. So for around forty bucks, the Londinium puppy is worthwhile.