Yemeni auction lots, 150 gram samples

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#1: Post by Chert »

While I am getting prepared to roast 150 g Boldjava sent me, I thought I would post some graphs of some tasty small charge roasts from the Huky

Alliance for Coffee Excellence is generous with samples of green coffee relative to some other auctions. 200 grams from the One of a Kind Guatemala auction:

But not so generous in the Best of Yemen auction in which one receives 100 g samples. 100 g in a Huky is even weirder in artisan graphs than 200 g. And probe temps even less helpful. Nonetheless this roast was particularly delicious:

I'll do a test roast of a natural process Ecuador I have from a distribution an HBer so kindly arranged.

Maybe this thread would also be the place to discuss tasting these.
LMWDP #198

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mkane »

One my, wife hates it, favorites, a good Yemen. Been sipping that the last few days.

Chert (original poster)

#3: Post by Chert (original poster) »

LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#4: Post by Chert (original poster) »

mkane wrote:One my, wife hates it, favorites, a good Yemen. Been sipping that the last few days.
I would keep more coffee from ethiopia around, but ... same issue.
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#5: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Ecuador naturl typica and sidra may not be a good model, grown at 1450 MASL compared to Yemeni at 2200, but here's first effort with a Yemeni coffee 150 g.

Cupping and tasting I am sure to enjoy.

LMWDP #198

Boldjava

#6: Post by Boldjava »

Thanks, Clint, for getting us started. Off to the races with them tomorrow after I get a 150g roast profile squared away.
-----
LMWDP #339

mkane
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mkane »

Guess you need a Huky to roast those small batches

Chert (original poster)

#8: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Funny you should say that. I would be pleased to swap samples with someone using a dedicated samples roaster programmed for Yemen coffees. That could be eye opening. I had a popcorn popper I was working on to connect to one of my TC4 controllers, but I managed to burn it up in one of my test runs. So 50-100 gram hot air roaster is not in my near future. Off the shelf ones are interesting, but not in the budget when I can use the heat in a rotating drum already paid for.

I think the cupping of judges for these auctions might be from larger-batch drum roasted at least when mutiple people get together to vet the coffees.

I cupped the two 150 g samples from yesterday's session. I''m still sipping the cooling cups. Natural process coffees with great complexity. I also had a V60 of a Yemen of similar score from Best of Yemen and I would rank that cup as better than this 8 g / 135 mL cupping taste. But that one was roasted a week ago - rest might have been in it's favor.

To train in a somewhat exacting evaluation could be really helpful. All I manage is if I like or don't, sometimes a clear preference when comparing, and maybe a taste note. But I enjoy sharing with others who like coffee so I get their opinion. My partner prefers washed centrals but she tasted these and deemed them very nice with the comment "bubble gum" - fruity naturals get that around here I've learned, but in such cups I could also think watermelon, cherry, mild yoghurt. Trying to learn to put a finger on it...

. The roaster heat and decline of heat settings and drop plan I think will work for tasting these samples. 1 min to 30 to 1 min 45 post first crack start to drop.
LMWDP #198

mkane
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mkane »

Not to threadjack. Our Yemens are close.

Chert (original poster)

#10: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Boldjava wrote:Thanks, Flint, for getting us started. Off to the races with them tomorrow after I get a 150g roast profile squared away.
Yes, indeed and the real race is in two days.

Dave, you can have a ring side seat. If it's like the Best of Yemen or the Ethiopia Cup of Excellence and some other auctions I've watched this year it will be quite a spectacle. I will see if someone who hasn't signed up for the auction can watch those prices climb and climb. But it appears anyone can watch.

Here's a website about the auction, and the groups that came together to make it happen. https://nationalyemencoffeeauction.sensible.coffee/en/

And here is the link to the auction which I expect will update in real time as bids are made: https://nationalyemencoffeeauction.sens ... on#lot_163

I have a V60 of remnants of the samples of Best of Yemen I roasted more than a week ago. Rest doesn't hurt those complex flavors.

So even after the auction ends I'll enjoy a few more tastes, as the samples age a bit.
LMWDP #198