Yemeni auction lots, 150 gram samples - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Boldjava »

Don't grounds and the air near grounds coffee have a different smell...
I don't know on wet grounds (aroma). I was taught that on dry grounds (fragrance), to smell it closely as well as 8" away. Per Joe Marrocco, different oils at different distances.
-----
LMWDP #339
★ Helpful

Chert (original poster)

#22: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Good to know. Near and far grounds' sniff are different to others too.
LMWDP #198

Boldjava
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by Boldjava »

Farmer: Abdullah Muhammed Sanaf
Process: Sun dried natural
Elevation, if known: 2150 meters
Variety: Udaini
Date: 9/3/22
Roaster/depth: pulled at 413*
Prep: Yama vacpot
Evaluators: Dave

-----

1. Fragrance/Aroma:
F: Biscuits right out of the oven
A: Herbaceous

2. Brightness/acidity: citric

3. Flavor/depth/nuances: slight cantaloupe, lemon-lime, red plum

4. Body/mouthfeel/balance: extremely balanced natural, med-light cup, coating

5. Finish/aftertaste: true to cup

Thought the cup would be heavier based on fragrance. Dessert cup; not overly complex

Grade: 87.5
This coffee finished 25th

-----

Grading system:
88 and above: Superb coffee
87: Outstanding coffee
86.5: Buy range, distribution worthy
86.0: If I needed the origin, I would buy it
85.0: Missing an element
84.0: Specialty coffee but not recommended
80-83: Coffee
79 and below: Thrown off the table
-----
LMWDP #339

Chert (original poster)

#24: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Here is a profile of one of the samples that was really really good. From the 100 g Best of Yemen set. Since probes and RoR curve is I will try to replicate this roast with one of the remaining unroasted ones I have.

200C charge of 100g coffee
airflow at 4
at 1:00 gas to 1.5 in H2O
4:18 gas to 0.9 in H2O
5:58 to 0.5
7:24 to 0.2
7:52 to 0.1
8:26 drop

\

at auction this particular lot fetched $59.50/lb.
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#25: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Boldjava wrote:A seat it will be. They have established a minimum bid of $25/lb. I imagine sky high winning bids on these small lots. I knew I was out when I searched for quotes on shipping from Oman where the beans are warehoused. 30 kilos? $587 to my door. By sea? Need half a container. I even checked to see if I could piggyback on someone's shipment from Oman. No soap. I am out before the first round bell even rings.

Private auctions outside ACE's Cups of Excellence are setting auction prices above reasonable value. The Lamastus Family Auction in Sept (superb coffee from their Panamanian farms---many here have had them) has set opening bids between $60-$100). https://lamastusfamilyestates.auction/e ... d3828500cd. Really? Capitalism at its worst (grins).

These auctions are playing to roasters who are after bragging rights to light up their own marquees. In this pending Yemeni auction, I anticipate Asian buyers will run the table. We at least put chalk on our cue stick when the balls were racked. I kept the chalk to remind me what is occurring.

This small boy it out. But tonight at our home, some from of our coffee group are sitting down to 3 of the Yemeni coffees; enjoying them, each other's company, with pizza and beer to follow.

Please pass me the chalk, will you? And another slice of the pepperoni pizza.
six thousand thirty four. per pound. That's a lot of chalk DB. even for a whimsical 7 lb lot.
LMWDP #198

Boldjava
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by Boldjava »

Boldjava wrote:Farmer: Muhammad Ahsan Ali Musleh
Elevation: 1800 meters
Variety: Udaini
---
4. Body/mouthfeel/balance: Extremely complex.
---
To summarize, I said, "I wish I could drink this coffee for a month so I could do a better job of capturing it in words."

Grade: 91 (this coffee finished 3rd)
23 days after roasting and this coffee still has legs. Always wondered why. Unique varieties? Unique growing conditions (soil, elevation, weather)? I give up but give me the Yemenis.
-----
LMWDP #339