Wush Wush Conversation cont'd (aka Klatch "Super Wush") - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by Peppersass »

How much DT did you give it, John, or did you just let the profile run as-is?

jakline

#12: Post by jakline »

Ran the profile as is, but I did mark FC.

DTR 19.7%
FC at 8:09
Roast ended at 10:09.

Dick, have you tried Wush Wush in your Ikawa? If so, at what point did you end the roast? And what did you think of it?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#13: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I'm going up the country. Baby, don't you wanna go?
I'm going up the country. Baby, don't you wanna go?
I'm goning to some place where I've never been before.

I'm going, I'm going where the coffee tastes like wine.
I'm going where the coffee tastes like wine.
We can jump in the coffee, stay drunk all the time

---Canned Heat
Adapted for Wushing
Definitely not your normal espresso. I was sent roasted samples by another forum member - roasted extremely well - on the light side of medium. Both
Klatch's Super Wush Wush and Roastmaster's Refreshing Wush Wush (same coffee, slightly different anaerobic processing). I found the Super to be too winey as it cooled, but the refreshing was well refreshing. Both coffees were excellent as I sipped the crema, and then the end of the sip is where the WUSH came in. Could be a slight difference in the roast or the coffee; I preferred the Refreshing version better as SO espresso. I can't see either of these being great in milk, but I will let the cap drinker in the house have one later on.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#14: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Wife had the Refreshing WushWush in a cap and picked out the berries; mild overall; enjoying it. This surprised me.
Artisan.Plus User-

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#15: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

In a more controlled test this am from my pastry chef wife who has an excellent tasting ability.

19 in 39 out. Same PI based on grams in cup.
109 grams of milk for each cap.
Made one right after another.
Drinks being kept to same temp in an Ember mug.

Refreshing Wush Wush was sweet berries and excellent.

Super Wush Wush was not pleasant at first, but after sitting a bit became very balanced and very good as well, especially after a few bites of food.

For me the Refreshing was the stand out.

YMMV.

Again that these were good in an cap surprised me.
Artisan.Plus User-

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#16: Post by Peppersass »

jakline wrote: Dick, have you tried Wush Wush in your Ikawa? If so, at what point did you end the roast? And what did you think of it?
No, I didn't buy any (and now it's gone :( .) I was thinking about buying it when Klatch was running the 20% discount and asked to get a feel for how dark you roasted it.

I was looking at the Panama Elida ASD at the same time, but didn't buy that either due to some negative comments and the large amount of greens in my freezer. I have the regular Panama Elida and like it a lot. I tried dropping it at 1:15, 1:00 and 0:45. They were all good, but I liked the 0:45 best. Bright and fruity, reasonably sweet.

wingnutsglory (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#17: Post by wingnutsglory (original poster) »

Peppersass wrote:I have the regular Panama Elida and like it a lot. I tried dropping it at 1:15, 1:00 and 0:45. They were all good, but I liked the 0:45 best. Bright and fruity, reasonably sweet.
Is that this year's or last? I have Klatch's from this year and am finding it to be far less fruity than the past two years. Either that, or I haven't found the sweet spot in the two roasts I've done.

I noticed that Happy Mug has Durato Bombe again and might pick some up. I roasted some from last year again last night. I've recently found it to have pretty strong blueberry going on and wondered about this year's crop...

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by walr00s replying to wingnutsglory »

I bought the Durato Bombe from Coffee Bean Corale and find it to be more berry tasting than the Wush Wush was. The Wush Wush was far less difficult to roast for me though. I liked the Wush Wush at 20s, 40s, 60s, and 120s of DT(120s ended up being my favorite). I only liked the 20s DB roast I did, and it took over a week for it to stale enough before I realized how good it was.

wingnutsglory (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#19: Post by wingnutsglory (original poster) replying to walr00s »

Yep, last year's was also a week sitting at least before it really started to get interesting.

bicktrav

#20: Post by bicktrav »

wingnutsglory wrote:Is that this year's or last? I have Klatch's from this year and am finding it to be far less fruity than the past two years. Either that, or I haven't found the sweet spot in the two roasts I've done.
I've found the same thing. There's nowhere near as much fruit in this year's harvest. It's still very good, nicely balanced between tart and sweet, rich and deep, but it's a pivot from what I was expecting.