Why Klatch annoys me:

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
BarryR

#1: Post by BarryR »

1) Their bags don't reseal. Everyone else uses ziplocks which work fine. With Klatch, I have to grab the scotch tape.
2) I often get a little less coffee than I've paid for. Not a big deal financilly but my last roast or two wind up a bit smaller than the rest and I have to adjust a bit. Again, never had this problem from anyone else. With some I get a slight bit more, never less. No excuse for it.
3) No 5 lb bags. It's my favorite size and I'd think quite popular. Nothing between 2 and 10 lbs available.
4) They just really irked me with an email for a code for "20% of All Coffee" at check out I found a minor detail - excludes unroasted coffee! Couldn't they have just said 20% of all roasted coffee (although I still think there are some additional exclusions).

:x

They're also a bit pricey so one would expect a better experience, not worse.
I buy much less frequently than I otherwise might.
They have some great coffees though.

I've emailed customer service but have not gotten much of a response.

Anyone share my thoughts.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mgrayson »

I didn't notice when they went from 12 oz. to 310 g. The bags just started to seem smaller.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mkane »

I personally wish all resellers would stop using plastic bags and do what CBC does and use burlap.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

BarryR wrote:... 4) They just really irked me with an email for a code for "20% of All Coffee" at check out I found a minor detail - excludes unroasted coffee! Couldn't they have just said 20% of all roasted coffee (although I still think there are some additional exclusions).
That has been true for many years. The only change in the past few years has been excluding some roasted coffees (Geishas typically) from the sales. They only have green sales rarely; for the past few years a consistent sale has been 10% off greens for one of the days of their "12 days of Christmas" sale.

The drop to 310g bags for roasted is recent, though - that change happened this spring. That was a bit of an eye-opener.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Intrepid510

#5: Post by Intrepid510 »

Look I am guilty of a whine fest from time to time, but just don't buy from them. To me it sounds like you like Klatch but they are just a hair too much in price for you to justify a purchase. Personally I have never liked Klatch.

BarryR (original poster)

#6: Post by BarryR (original poster) »

I don't mind their prices but was wondering if others agreed with / found the same faults as me.
I realize I don't have to buy from them.

I also think it's fine if they exclude greens from their sales. They can do whatever they want, but other sales make it clear what is / isn't excluded.

I see them as a little upscale in price and a little downscale in other aspects.

I'm puzzled and thus posted.

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

Their bags are annoying ...

But to that's a speck compared to what I like about them. They are one of the few roasters who still sell green coffee. Since these are the same coffees they sell roasted; it acts as a sort of guarantee. Most of the green suppliers I order from bat around .500, so I'm throwing out half my initial orders from them, and wasting time roasting their coffee. Klatch greens have a much higher batting average, around 85%. For me, that justifies the premium they charge

... And it's not as if zip lock bags last; often the plastic zippers detach or fail.
Jim Schulman

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#8: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Hmmm they only recently - meaning within the last year - started excluding greens from sales.

Klatch is too expensive for what it is without sales. I have stopped buying from them.

And yes no 5lb bags doesn't help.

So yeah try some of the others.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Hmmm they only recently - meaning within the last year - started excluding greens from sales. ...
Greens have been excluded on the 20% off sales for at least four years. Prior 10% off sales included greens.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

BarryR (original poster)

#10: Post by BarryR (original poster) »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Hmmm they only recently - meaning within the last year - started excluding greens from sales.

Klatch is too expensive for what it is without sales. I have stopped buying from them.

And yes no 5lb bags doesn't help.

So yeah try some of the others.
Oh I buy from several others: Mostly Sweetmarias, GCBC, & Bodhileaf.
Sometimes Roastmasters, Burman, Coffeecoral, etc.
Lots of fine choices!

Anyone else find themselves shortchanged with Klatch? I found that really strange but it wasn't just once.