Why Klatch annoys me: - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#21: Post by LBIespresso »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Yep that is what matters and so I'll wait and see if they offer any discount over the holidays.
Same here. Last few holidays I have been disappointed to see green left off of the discount. I do like the idea that they are roasting the same green that they sell us. I think of that as yet another filter that the decision process goes through and have always been happy with their quality. I do feel like something changed there though. My customer service experience with them has been less than stellar and without the discount, I see better value away.

In the end, they manage their business as they see fit and they probably know what they are doing, even if they miss out on my paltry few $$ I used to send their way :lol:
LMWDP #580

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#22: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to LBIespresso »

Andrew all true and yes it is a bit strange in that they are a small family operation. When I inquired about the greens I got a "arms up in the air" "I'll let management know" answer. I personally think they made the decision to exclude greens permanently from sales. We will know by year end. There are many other sources at their pricing.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Roasty

#23: Post by Roasty »

I think what I cant wrap my head around is I used to probably order from them 4-5 times a year, always during their 20% off and don't understand why people act as if they never did this for greens. I'd wait until the end of the month when they offered the deal. Its only been in the last year they don't include greens and therefore I've stopped ordering. I brought it up a few months ago and people acted as if they never did this when I literally spent the previous 2-3 years ordering at a discount.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by mkane »

Don't buy if you don't like the pricing. My wife shops for sale items and I chuckle every time. Items with a 20% off price tag is just a marketing ploy.

BarryR (original poster)

#25: Post by BarryR (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:The Perrys have some great relationships with some great growers, e.g., the Lamastus' in Panama. I try to buy green from Klatch's lot of the Lamastus' Panama Elida Natural Catuai every year - seems late this year though.
That is one my favorite Klatch coffees & probably why I continue to check them out.

I see a lot of "if you don't like them don't buy from them" comments.
I know that!

The main reason for my original post was to share my thoughts and see if others had similar experiences.
It does seem the consensus is:
1) They have some great beans
2) They're a bit pricey
3) Customer service / responsiveness isn't stellar
4) 20% off greens discounts may be a thing of the past from them which will probably cause many of us to order less.

CSME9

#26: Post by CSME9 »

Good coffee but as many others expensive for what you get especially @ smaller 310 g bags.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#27: Post by LBIespresso »

mkane wrote:Don't buy if you don't like the pricing. My wife shops for sale items and I chuckle every time. Items with a 20% off price tag is just a marketing ploy.
Yup. Same thing with "free shipping."

I used to rely on Klatch for EA Decaf and would try other stuff when I ordered that. Now, all in price away is better without a drop off in quality to my eye/taste. But like I said, my orders away will hardly be missed by them. I am sure they know how to run their business and they won't even notice that I haven't ordered.
LMWDP #580

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#28: Post by wingnutsglory »

I'd also noticed it but was slightly less concerned with the lack of sale than with the change to further limit which beans they choose to sell green. They seemingly never sold every roasted bean as green, but it's now even further limited (seems that overall they're also offering less variety). It appears that the more-special beans (i.e. pricier) are no longer available green. I hope not, but I'd expect this could end up being the case for Panama Elida Natural when/if it arrives.
It's seemed to me that all changes came around the same time and are part of some master plan change. I wondered if they were under new ownership/management.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#29: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

wingnutsglory wrote: It's seemed to me that all changes came around the same time and are part of some master plan change. I wondered if they were under new ownership/management.
Same family owned; and I do agree with you. They made a fundamental decision at some point last year or early this year. We will see how that plays out this holiday season. Maybe they only have a sale once a year now part of the 12 days sale, and yes I also agree with the other comment that not all beans are sold.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

addertooth

#30: Post by addertooth »

There are three things a business needs to watch.
1. What happenned in the past.
2. What is happening today.
3. What will be the outcomes in the future (especially potential growth).

The first item affects the second item. i.e. happy customers come back. Unhappy customers never come back.
The second item allows them to observe the outcome of recent changes.
The third item is murky, but if enough people are unhappy at item number 2, it chills the probability that there will be a growth in NEW customers. As the word gets out that a seller has become less desireable, potentential new customers avoid and never place an order.

People like me are in group 3. Eventually most of the customer base moves on (aging out, change of hobbies, bad experiences over time, disenfranchisement from changes in policies). New customers are how most businesses survive long-term. Word of mouth is more powerful on the negative side, than the positive side.