Why Klatch annoys me: - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
BaristaBob

#11: Post by BaristaBob »

I've got to say the good over comes the bad when it comes to Klatch. Overall, bean quality is very good to excellent, and their roast quality is spot on. Bag types don't bother me, since I store all my beans in Airscape containers. All this is just my opinion.

Yes...the bags have gone from 340g to 310g with no reduction in price and maybe a dollar or so increase to boot for certain coffees. I think Belle has gone up a little. Feel blessed if your favorite roaster hasn't decreased their bag size yet. It's coming.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

TallDan

#12: Post by TallDan »

I'd agree with most of the things said here, good and bad. What I like:
I can buy roasted and green from the same place
Consistent high quality of coffee I've ordered

What I dislike:
Like some big store retailers, I feel like I'm overpaying if I don't get things on sale.

Overall, I like them as a coffee source, they're probably number two for me after Sweet Maria's, which basically flips the above likes and dislikes around.

BarryR (original poster)

#13: Post by BarryR (original poster) »

Just to clarify:

I wasn't even complaining that the sales didn't include green coffee. I'm happy if they do and more likely to order though.
Rather, I was complaining about how they posted it ("All Coffee On Sale" - omitting the word "roasted" and leaving that to the fine print).

I also wasn't complaining that roast sizes had gotten smaller but that when I buy, for example, 2 lbs of green beans I sometimes come up a little short, so, suddenly my last 227 gm (1/2 lb) roast at the end of the bag is now 200 gm. That's just rude!

I agree that there coffees are often excellent and though a little expensive, still a reasonable value, that's why I sometimes still buy from them (though usually when they actually have a sale on greens).

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#14: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

baldheadracing wrote:Greens have been excluded on the 20% off sales for at least four years. Prior 10% off sales included greens.
Craig I just looked in my account. Every order in 2020 and 2021 had either 20 or 25% off or I had a point discount to use except for some Panama Elida orders. My two orders in 2022, one used points and one didn't have a discount. That is what I said its been about a year. Also I had tracked this for the Greens List. I think they just stopped in early 2022.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#15: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

BarryR wrote:Oh I buy from several others: Mostly Sweetmarias, GCBC, & Bodhileaf.
Sometimes Roastmasters, Burman, Coffeecoral, etc.
Lots of fine choices!

Anyone else find themselves shortchanged with Klatch? I found that really strange but it wasn't just once.
Barry I have not weighed their bags but that is surprising. If you are roasting a lot I encourage you to try Hacea and Showroom and give Artisan Plus a spin. You might find keeping track with that tool useful. Christopher Feran is working with Showroom now and Jared at Hacea is happy to give you recommendations.
Artisan.Plus User-

BarryR (original poster)

#16: Post by BarryR (original poster) replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

After reading about Hacea here I just ordered 23 lbs of beans with the introductory free shipping.

Indonesia Sumatra Wahana Rasuna Natural × 2lb
Colombia Finca Luisa Juan Pablo Caturra Carbonic Macerated Natural × 2lb
Costa Rica Hacienda Sonora Villa Sarchi Natural × 2lb
Burundi Kibingo Station Intenso Yeast Fully Washed × 2lb
Guatemala Antigua Jauja Rosario Washed × 5lb
Guatemala San Marcos El Paraíso San Roque Natural × 5lb
Ethiopia Guji Gigesa Natural x 5lb

I like naturals and some funky stuff so some of these looked quite interesting.
I'll have to check out showroom next (but I'm set for a while now).
I see Showroom has no 5lb bags :cry:

Regarding Artisan Plus: I thought about the homeroaster subscription but I roast about 100 lbs a year so, not sure I want to spend $50 annually for it.
I do donate sometimes.
I also have an Access Database I designed (and may have even posted somewhere years ago) that I can use to track my roasts & inventory and print labels.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#17: Post by baldheadracing »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Craig I just looked in my account. Every order in 2020 and 2021 had either 20 or 25% off or I had a point discount to use except for some Panama Elida orders. My two orders in 2022, one used points and one didn't have a discount. That is what I said its been about a year. Also I had tracked this for the Greens List. I think they just stopped in early 2022.
Perhaps you had those discounts in the past as a good customer, and they don't offer that level of discount anymore?

I had looked up my old emails as well. 10% was the best that I ever got from them on green.

Anyhow, no discounts on green these days :|
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#18: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

baldheadracing wrote:
Anyhow, no discounts on green these days :|
Yep that is what matters and so I'll wait and see if they offer any discount over the holidays.
Artisan.Plus User-

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#19: Post by Milligan »

I've never ordered from them because the prices seem absurd compared to other suppliers. I've never read anything about them being much better quality than other well regarded vendors.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#20: Post by baldheadracing replying to Milligan »

The Perrys have some great relationships with some great growers, e.g., the Lamastus' in Panama. I try to buy green from Klatch's lot of the Lamastus' Panama Elida Natural Catuai every year - seems late this year though.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada