why does it seem that pro-roasts last longer than home? - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
oofnik

#21: Post by oofnik »

I don't know, but I've noticed an improvement in my roasts (drum roaster) if I preheat everything up to 250-300 F before putting the beans in. I think it might be the thermal inertia of the system giving the beans a good initial oomph or something, and that apparently rounds out some flavors somehow? It tastes good, so I'll keep doing it.

javanut

#22: Post by javanut »

I have not noticed that. I am obsessed with good coffee and have had beans from all over, roasted and unroasted. I roast at home and get coffee from local roasters once in a while and also online sources. beans only remain fresh for so long...it's science. Expose them to air and the clock starts ticking regardless of whether or not you seal them.

oofnik

#23: Post by oofnik »

DaveC wrote:I've always thought so, and you can make reusable ones.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/one-way-v ... -home-made
Wow! I made a few of these for my last two roasts. They've been sitting for three days and I just pulled the first shot of SM Puro Scuro. What a difference! It seems that the flavor develops much more evenly compared to just sealing the beans in the jars. Even the aroma seems much sweeter and mellower versus the sharper, more pungent smells I was getting before. Awesome. :D

DaveC

#24: Post by DaveC replying to oofnik »

Yes, I have found it is far superior to a simple sealed jar, I can't be definitely sure, but I think the flushing out of oxygen is a major factor as mentioned in the Wiki. I wash the main body of the containers, but only give the lids a wipe with a damp cloth avoiding the valve of course.

The other great thing is how good your cupboard (containing the jars) smells when you open the door :D

Kaffee Bitte

#25: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

DaveC wrote:I don't know, have not seen or used them. Do you have a web URL?
http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/group_line ... D=1&GID=12
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Trisha

#26: Post by Trisha »

My observations are the opposite: what I roast lasts well through the 5 day cutoff for espresso!

Coffees roasted at low elevations would probably survive better if I immediately put them in the chest freezer (best guess is rapid outgassing). . .

:oops:

The lack of oxygen up here affects everything!
LMWDP# 95
. . . and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

Niko

#27: Post by Niko »

One thing I noticed is that the outgassing is slowed down when I immediately put my roasts in a vacuum container, the ones that have a pump to suck the air out. I used to put the beans in a valved bag for a couple of days until they're rested enough to start drinking and then I discovered the airtight jars take longer. Yes, the gasses get trapped in the jar but I do open them several times a day for the first 2-3 days. The lid usually gets blown off by the outgassing in the first 6-12 hours anyway.

...oh yeah, back to the OP, my roasts last just as long (if not longer) than commercial roasts. I don't have an answer for this but maybe the airtight jars have something to do with it.

matadero210

#28: Post by matadero210 »

Has anyone tried CO2 purging? As a home-beer-brewer, I have a tank of CO2 sitting in the kitchen. I would assume from all the foregoing that even blowing CO2 onto the beans just before closing the jar would have an effect. Maybe one could install a gas-inlet poppet on a jar .....

raj
LMWDP 117

Richard

#29: Post by Richard »

matadero210 wrote:Maybe one could install a gas-inlet poppet on a jar .....
And next you will be submitting a patent claim that teaches carbonated espresso?
-- Richard

DaveC

#30: Post by DaveC »

matadero210 wrote:Has anyone tried CO2 purging? As a home-beer-brewer, I have a tank of CO2 sitting in the kitchen. I would assume from all the foregoing that even blowing CO2 onto the beans just before closing the jar would have an effect. Maybe one could install a gas-inlet poppet on a jar .....

raj
I have considered it, but had no small controllable source of compressed CO2. If I was to do it, it would be via a semi rigid tube, pushed down into the beans to the bottom of the container. Pass gas through for a few seconds, then withdraw tube and close lid.....but then I get lots of crazy ideas. :lol: