Where do you roast

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
fizguy

#1: Post by fizguy »

I have been roasting with a Behmor for many years. I dream of having a roastery or cafe when I retire (or before!) and of a better roaster in any case.

My question (for now), for those of you with something better, where do you roast? With the behmor I simply roast in front of an open window with a fan perched on top and aimed outside.

A huky could go on my stovetop with the ventilation fan on, I think. What about something which requires a propane tank? Do you have a dedicated space? Store then roast outside? Garage?

Regards

Justin

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mkane »

In the garage. The smoke just goes everywhere but, I'm old and nothing's going to shorten my lifespan at my advanced age. I choose this before drilling a hole in the wall.

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
keno

#3: Post by keno »

Garage. I roast on a BC-2 with propane, so indoors is out of the question. I have my roaster set up near the front of the garage and open the main door. I also put a hole through the wall for a vent pipe. I use a large fan as well.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

Covered patio, on a table. There's an overhead fan, useful on hot days.

TallDan

#5: Post by TallDan »

Can't resist commenting here because I suspect that I'm the only person who has a Mill City roaster in their dining room. When I got it, the dining room was supposed to be temporary and I planned to make a space for it in the basement or garage. That was a few years ago now...

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

I roast with my Bullet on a workbench in my garage in the same space that I roasted with my Behmor. I had previously hung a stove vent over the bench with ducting running out over the garage door and when I upgraded to the Bullet I rigged up an adapter to bring down flexible ducting from where the filter goes in the stove vent to within a few inches above the exhaust.

I didn't realize how well this setup was working until I took my roaster up to Oakland for a get-together and roasted out in the open. There I saw how much smoke it puts out.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

fizguy (original poster)

#7: Post by fizguy (original poster) »

Thank you for these responses!
It sounds common to roast in a garage or patio.

Do seasonal temperature variations impact the roast significantly?
Do you also store the roaster in the garage?

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

I store my roaster on the workbench in my garage and the seasonal variations in California are small compared to other parts of the country.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

fizguy (original poster)

#9: Post by fizguy (original poster) »

keno wrote:Garage. I roast on a BC-2 with propane, so indoors is out of the question. I have my roaster set up near the front of the garage and open the main door. I also put a hole through the wall for a vent pipe. I use a large fan as well.
Just watched a roasting demo video for the BC-2. Nice roaster! Do you roast for yourself only?

Chert

#10: Post by Chert »

My huky is in the basement, fairly stable temps, fan vented . I am trying to arrange an outdoor protected setup with afterburner.
fizguy wrote:
Do seasonal temperature variations impact the roast significantly?
Do you also store the roaster in the garage?
YES (especially if you want reproducibility or have coffee that is best just so. ). If you have great easy greens maybe not so key.

And yes. Storage where you roast, set up and ready to go, is a time saver that adds to the joy.
I sponsor Artisan Roasterscope.