Where do you roast - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mathof

#21: Post by mathof »

Dining room table, but it's a 50g Ikawa Home and makes fewer fumes than a cigarette.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#22: Post by Peppersass replying to mathof »

I run my Ikawa Pro V3 under the stove hood with the hood fan on low so I can hear 1C. If I run it with the fan off there's just a hint of roast smell in the kitchen, likely due to small batch size and light roasts.

I ran a dryer vent hose from my Quest M3 to the stove hood and generally ran it with the hood fan on low or medium. Got more smell in the kitchen with that setup. Roasts were light, so probably batch size was the cause, which was 150g.

I have real concerns about using a 20 lb propane tank indoors. That's against code in most places. My understanding is that these tanks have a vent valve that can release pressure in the tank if it gets too high, in which case you have gas in the house. Opinions are divided on whether 20 lb propane tanks can explode. I read a post by a fireman who emphatically said yes.

Disposable 1 lb propane cylinders don't have a vent valve and my understanding is that they're allowed by code in most places. I'm sure that approach would be way more expensive, but how much is your life and propery worth to you? Anyone know how long a small roaster like a Huky or Cormorant can run on a 1 lb tank? How about larger roasters like 500g, 1kG and 2kG?

Back when I was contemplating a large gas roaster, I figured I'd have the gas company extend our basement propane line to it (we have a propane furnace and gas dryer, and used to have a propane hot water heater.) But I wonder if they'd have been willing to put a quick disconnect fitting on it, similar to what they do for permanently hooked-up gas grills, so I could move the roaster around for cleaning, etc. I imagine the fitting has an automatic shutoff, but maybe code doesn't allow them indoors.

Obviously, a gas roaster should always be vented to the outside because it will produce CO (and possibly smoke.) I've seen Internet posts from people wondering why it's OK to use a gas range or cooktop indoors. That's because they're supposed to be installed with a range hood vented to the outdoors, which should always be turned on when using the burners.

Strifer

#23: Post by Strifer »

I roast on my Bullet in the kitchen under the stove vent. Kind of surprised it works so well the first time I tried it. Never noticed any lingering smell. Now I have to figure out what to do with all of the extra ducting and parts I purchased in anticipation of the stove vent not working.

Gataros

#24: Post by Gataros »

Recently purchased the Ikawa Home.

I haven't roasted that much, however the provided by Ikawa coffees work well with the app profiles.

Since its my first time roasting, its very interesting to see the impact on taste if you manually decrease/increase DT etc.

I wonder how easy is to roast with non Ikawa coffees.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by Brewzologist »

Peppersass wrote: Disposable 1 lb propane cylinders don't have a vent valve and my understanding is that they're allowed by code in most places. I'm sure that approach would be way more expensive, but how much is your life and propery worth to you? Anyone know how long a small roaster like a Huky or Cormorant can run on a 1 lb tank? How about larger roasters like 500g, 1kG and 2kG?
Here are some options for using a 1lb cylinder filled from a larger 20lb tank. Perhaps doesn't have to be that expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YSNEZ ... TPWZ&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CMTHSZ/?c ... _lig_dp_it

This option would work well on my Huky 500g roaster as it sips propane. Think I've read Cormorant users going with this approach as well. Getting into the 1kG range who knows.

Agree on the overall concerns of using a tank indoors. But as an old firefighter I have greatly mitigated that risk. I'm able to bring my 20lb tank in a door just a few feet away from my roaster, just for use during the roasting session, then it goes back outside. I don't leave once I've started the burner, have ready access to the tank valve to close it, and an extinguisher at hand too. I also have a large overhead vent above the roaster/tank which goes to the outdoors.

dtrevino15

#26: Post by dtrevino15 »

I roast in the dining room, but built a coffee station.

Transparent Roaster

#27: Post by Transparent Roaster »

Here's my current Roaster908 roasting station. I hope to post more updates on this build and its development in the future. Any questions or interest can be sent to me via PM using this site.
CK
★ Helpful

GDM528

#28: Post by GDM528 »

Converted my Ikawa Home to 'side-fire' its exhaust port. The hot air gets dispersed and mixes nicely with room air as it gets scooped up by the range hood. Also, pulling out from underneath the exhaust hood gives me a less obstructed view into the roast chamber and makes it easier to hear FC/SC. This could also be used to exhaust out a window, with caution taken to avoid melting anything in the path.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#29: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

In a room we call the Saloon; cause it holds wine and coffee. 500gram vented through a 2x6 for both the cyclone exhaust on top and cooling tray in the middle. Propane hose runs through the bottom so the tank stays outside with the scorpions, rattlesnakes, giant desert centipedes and tarantula hawks.

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

okmed

#30: Post by okmed »

In the basement.