What path to follow for a beginner in the field of roasting?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Atlas20050

#1: Post by Atlas20050 »

Hello everyone ,

I would like to thank everyone for the information and advice that you share through this forum.

I'm new to coffee roasting; I've never had the opportunity to use a roasting machine.

my current knowledge is limited to reading a few books and articles on roasting as well as following youtube channels.

My next goal is to found a small roasting company.

I would like to know your proposals for a coffee machine at home as well as the equipment that will allow me to gain experience and prepare before moving on to the creation of my roasting company with a larger machine (20 kg).

I thank you in advance for your answers.

Miltonedgebert

#2: Post by Miltonedgebert »

I don't know if this is good advice for your situation, but I started with a stovetop popcorn popper and learned a lot from it on the sensory side. I got mine for $5 at a thrift shop.

btreichel

#3: Post by btreichel »

air popper. small batches never drink the same coffee (even region) more than once a day. Do that for at least 6 months, Also, use multiple brew methods for the same coffee

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

If you plan to open a shop you may want to consider finding another roaster and try getting a tour and perhaps even an internship for some days or weeks or similar. As mentioned, start roasting, in a wok, in any drum over a flame, in a popcorn popper, any which way that works for you to then buy something you can use as sample roaster....the learning curve is steep but you don't want to have to go through it wasting 1 kilo batches on a 20 kilo roaster
LMWDP #483

lassepavoni

#5: Post by lassepavoni »

Atlas20050 wrote:my current knowledge is limited to reading a few books and articles on roasting as well as following youtube channels.

My next goal is to found a small roasting company.
That's a huge gap between those two lines, IMHO. Read some more about roasting in this forum, and then get a small roasting machine and your hands dirty, like the other posters suggested already.
Regards, Lasse
LMWDP #744

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by Milligan »

Spend at least 1-2 years roasting at home on a small gas drum to see if it sticks with you before getting business involved. There is loads to learn roasting that no book can help with. How coffee selection and coffee roasting principles influence the cup is science, craft, and sensory development. It takes a lot of time. So pumping the brakes on the "business" part is my recommendation unless you plan to hire a professional roaster.

Martin

#7: Post by Martin »

By far the toughest (and most crucial) challenge to your professional/business goals is a well-trained palate. I'd concentrate on learning to taste and rembering what you tasted last week or year.
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

N3Roaster

#8: Post by N3Roaster »

I concur with Martin. Practical tasting skills are critical. This is how you'll know what results are possible and which results you want for your business, how you'll learn to identify problems and likely causes of those problems, how to determine if you're achieving the results that you're aiming for, how you'll describe coffees to your customers and communicate your needs to your suppliers. There are some key tasks that you can do to develop those skills at different stages in your development:

Taste as many coffees as you can. Try what your potential competitors are doing, seek out roasters who are doing different things. Look for coffees from different countries using different post-harvest processing techniques. Taste light roasts, dark roasts, and everything in between. When you start learning to roast, taste everything you do, especially the mistakes. Origin trips can be a good way to try things that your suppliers are hopefully not exposing you to. More extreme examples of things like under-ripes or processing mishaps will help you identify more dilute examples that might slip through. Get in the practice of taking notes. Those notes don't need to be overly formal, though it's not bad to get in the practice of filling out cupping forms. On the high end, once you start sample roasting you can buy auction sample packs as a relatively affordable way to get lots of very high quality distinct coffees from the same whatever the auction is focusing on.

Learn cupping methodologies. Cupping is the lingua franca of the coffee supply chain and you'll have more success communicating if you speak the language than if you're doing your own weird thing. While all the details of sample preparation and scoring are geared toward sourcing, the mechanical aspects of cupping can be adapted for use in roast exploration, production quality control, and determining substitutability. There are classes out there that you can take at training labs or trade events as well as resources for sensory training. I'm not saying you need to become a Q grader (though CQI does have a good program), but getting good at cupping opens up a lot of opportunities.

Don't do all of your tasting alone. Different people have different sensitivities and different vocabularies. Talking about what you're tasting after everybody has had a chance to do their own initial evaluations can clue you in to nuances that were less obvious to you. There are good conversations to be had about how different samples might translate to production roast levels or red flags on coffees that could degrade badly before you get it. Try to get an opportunity to taste coffees with the sales person you're buying green coffee from and have those conversations. You'll get a better idea of what they mean when they're describing coffees. They'll get a better read on the sorts of coffees you're interested in.

You don't have to do all of that at once or all of it before you open your business, but get started with this in whatever capacity you can and go in knowing that this never stops. Next year's coffees will be different from this year's, farms will change what coffee varieties they're growing, change farm management practices, change post-harvest processing. You might find different markets to target with different desires and expectations. New roasting machinery can open up different approaches to roasting. The ability to taste is the ability to cut out the noise of fads and make your own product decisions.
★ Helpful

Atlas20050 (original poster)

#9: Post by Atlas20050 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for your valuable responses.

Acorazza

#10: Post by Acorazza »

I too started like many here on a vintage popcorn popper. I graduated soon after to a Quest M3 and then an Aillio bullet which I've had for a few years now. Even though the actual roasting process may not transfer to a big gas drum such as heat control and the general principles of roasting will as well tasting and judging roasts.

I would recommend starting with whatever you can afford and trying batches of green beans from different origins as this will help you build your palate and also see how different beans roast and like to be roasted.

Also do not worry about buying whatever holds the largest capacity. Lower capacity means more roasts for the same amount of coffee and more experience to be gained. I use to do 80g roasts on the popper, 150g on the Quest and now 1lb on the Bullet so for every 1 bullet roast I could have had 3 on the Quest