What is the latest on the storage of coffee greens? - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Compass Coffee

#21: Post by Compass Coffee »

malachi wrote:That's easy to do.
Roast it all within the optimal window for the green.
The optimal window for the green will vary depending on how it's stored. Store in cotton bags in high humidity high temperature without air conditioning during the summer months like the Gulf States and its window would be short indeed. Store in closed ziplock bags same place even shorter. I've known quality extreme serious micro-roasters that store their greens in temperature and humidity controlled environments. Not for multi-year storage purposes, but so the quality will be maintained through to the next crop cycle.
Mike McGinness

malachi

#22: Post by malachi »

Why is it so great to be able to extend the green to the next availability of that same bean?

First of all... I'm sorry, but there is no way that it's going to truly be optimal for the entire year.
Second... the green is going to change year to year.
Third... I would rather eat perfect strawberries for two days out of the year and remember them for the rest than taint that memory with inferior strawberries the rest of the year. There is always something at its peak.
What's in the cup is what matters.

malachi

#23: Post by malachi »

cannonfodder wrote:Which brings up the next question, what is the prime age for green? Understanding that there will be differences in shelf life from origin to origin, what is a good rule of thumb?
Different with different beans.

Most of the top Yirgs I've had this year (for example) have already lost all their floral notes and most of their acidity.
On the other hand, last year's El Salvador Las Nubitas seemed solid for around 10 months.

I have a theory that the lifespan of a green bean depends on a number of factors beyond (but obviously including) storage environment. I'd say these would include growing elevation, type of processing and moisture content.

Compass Coffee

#24: Post by Compass Coffee »

malachi wrote:There is always something at its peak.
My main point was the importance of storage conditions. Take that something at its peak, store it improperly and it can go bad in weeks or days not months.
Mike McGinness

SL28ave

#25: Post by SL28ave »

I have to disagree with some of you here, at least for now. Jute-stored green coffee changes by the week, admittedly some slightly slower than others.The only GREAT jute-stored coffees currently peaking I personally think are select lots of Rwanda, 2nd harvest Colombia, Bolivia and Brazil; the lots haven't even been imported yet, to the best of my knowledge. I think it'll be rather "respectful" to capture and keep their beautiful impression for as long as possible too. No gimmicks, just my serious opinion.

Our cupping table is open to whomever. Because of attending cupping sessions over the past couple years at our facility there are other small roasters freezing their premium green now, and importers freezing their green samples too. It's all on the cupping table.

There are many other great green storage ideas in the works too :) Though, I don't know if I can reveal them yet. Please, let's all keep an open mind. I take extreme joy in how currently clueless I am about coffee, and what potential lies there.
"Few, but ripe." -Carl Friedrich Gauss

malachi

#26: Post by malachi »

SL28ave wrote:The only GREAT jute-stored coffees currently peaking I personally think are select lots of Rwanda, 2nd harvest Colombia, Bolivia and Brazil; the lots haven't even been imported yet, to the best of my knowledge.
The Rwandas are here, a few of the Brazils are in the US already and some Colombians arrived last week.
Bolivia is a ways off, of course, as are the bulk of the Brazils.

In addition, I think we're seeing select Nicaraguans at their peak right as well as the top coffees from El Salvador.

And given the list above, I have to confess I'd be perfectly happy drinking nothing but the El Salvador Finca Kilimanjaro, the Rwanda, the Nicaragua Torrez and the new Colombian for the next 2 months.

SL28ave

#27: Post by SL28ave »

I'm beginning to pinpoint some of the first signs of green decline. One prominent characteristic is a slight acridity, or bitter astringency. This has been one of my key palate lessons this year. I think every connoisseur should learn to perceive the acridity of green decline. And whether they like it is up to them. I think it's unpleasant though. Who here picks up on the acridity, and when in the life of the green? Do you (nobody in particular!) even roast your coffees light enough to see the weekly or monthly aging?

(Chris, I'm in love with some of these Colombians! You probably love the #2. I love the #1 and #15; the #15 is simply a less polished #1 to me. I'd love to see your tasting notes.)
"Few, but ripe." -Carl Friedrich Gauss

AndyS

#28: Post by AndyS »

skyryders90 wrote:Alton Brown is genius.
Maybe he is, but not for quick-freezing of strawberries, etc. This is common practice in the food industry, for what, 50 years?
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#29: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

There is BIG difference between tossing something into your chest freezer and what we use in a commercial setting.

At our beef and poultry production facilities, we quick freeze the end product in a cryogenic tunnel, I believe they use liquid nitrogen and the product goes from raw meet to brick hard very quickly (but not too quick, that causes other problems).

I am anxiously awaiting the new Brazils. That is part of the reason I posted the initial question. I have noticed a dramatic drop in quality over the past month in the last of my Brazil. I have been watching the comments on the new offerings and searching for an early bean to fill the gap.

For now, I will order less, drink more, and enjoy the experience.
Dave Stephens

Compass Coffee

#30: Post by Compass Coffee »

I've been a proponent of vacuum storing greens and roasts for years. Been meaning to try greens in a home freezer so while vac bagging some newly arrived greens vac bagged and tossed a 1/2# of Moki's Kona in the freezer day before yesterday. Rather than a long term vac & freeze test thinking to just start with a shorter freeze duration, defrost & roast 'em for Sweet Maria's Home Roast List PNW Gathering IV in June along with another batch of non-frozen Moki's of course. That'll provide a large base of taste testers. Will decide then if further testing is warranted.
Mike McGinness