What does a "Holiday Blend" mean to you? - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
caffeinatedjen
Supporter ❤

#21: Post by caffeinatedjen »

I really like Sweet Maria's Polar espresso blend, partly for the bad pun I have to admit, and try to get some every year before it sells out.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#22: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Well tonight it appears to be a whisky with an espresso back. :lol: Tasty.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Trjelenc (original poster)

#23: Post by Trjelenc (original poster) »

Now I'm tempted to pick up some of them nugs!

But I also think I narrowed down the roast profile of each of the 3 coffees in my blend. Took me several roasts of each to get something balanced. Right now, the blend and individual components taste very good to me. I think it tastes like a very crowd-pleasing coffee, but I'm gonna trial some to family that's used to drinking "regular" coffees and get some extra opinion.

1/3 Rwanda Isimbi Kivu Lake (Happy Mug)
1/3 Sumatra Mandheling (Happy Mug)
1/3 Guatemala Huehuetenango Guaya'b (Happy Mug)

Profiles of the roasts that have tasted best alone and in the blend, roasted on Huky 500T solid drum with Variac

Rwanda Isimbi Kivu Lake - previous roasts didn't taste developed enough and were the source of a harshness in the blend. This one was tasty:

Sumatra Mandheling - did several of these including some with 4-5 minute development to second crack that turned out to be bitter trash. This one, while still 5-10 degrees before second crack, tasted very good to me and didn't have any bitterness:

Guatemala Huehuetenango Guaya'b - I'm really liking this coffee. This is the only bean that gave me mostly good roasts; only one roast less than desirable that had an off taste that I fixed with longer middle phase. I have plenty of room to go darker on this bean and still have it come out good, so I may experiment with that. But this roast was really balanced with sweetness, just enough acidity, and a nice chocolate taste.

Here's the Guatemala that I took on the darker end for me(+32F, 2:48 past start of first. This is 8-13F before second crack). I drank a mug of this by itself and was very happy with it. Tastes a bit darker without being bitter and still had nice balance. I may play with this some, maybe combine to make a melange with the lighter roast

drgary
Team HB

#24: Post by drgary »

I found the Guatemala Guaya'b Huehuetenango (from Klatch) excellent and at more than one roast level. I just finished off the last batch, taking it just short of 2C and stopped the roast the moment I could smell distillates in the tryer. I think that one is going to be excellent.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#25: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

@Trjelenc

Looks like a fun blend. What version of Artisan are you using? Have you considered updating and having your graph show degrees past FCs?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#26: Post by Trjelenc (original poster) »

drgary wrote:I found the Guatemala Guaya'b Huehuetenango (from Klatch) excellent and at more than one roast level. I just finished off the last batch, taking it just short of 2C and stopped the roast the moment I could smell distillates in the tryer. I think that one is going to be excellent.
I was very surprised at how good this coffee is, I think I got it for like $4.50/lb. Definitely a bargain coffee.

Interesting to see only 2:33 middle phase. Lately on my setup I've been finding good success with middle phases of 3:30+. The one roast of this bean I didn't like clocked in at 3:18 in that phase. I'm not a good enough taster yet to identify what that undesirable flavor was but to me it tasted like something that should have been developed out at the time and temp after first crack I took it ( and I didn't taste it on a lighter roast)

drgary
Team HB

#27: Post by drgary »

I'll check back when this roast rests enough for worthwhile tasting. Each roasting machine is different, so regarding timing of phases, I'm doing a 1 1/2 minute soak to start and am taking it through steadily declining ROR until target temperature without much attention to phases at this point. Recently I discovered that I'd been charging too hot for years and was missing what I now get, which is a juicy acidity balancing sweetness. My very basic technique is to reduce gas after establishing the ET high enough to maintain roasting momentum at the end of the roast. I'd meant to take this just short of 2C and the tryer told me when to stop the roast. Then I'm holding a fan above my cooling tray, which also has a fan, to cool the beans thoroughly and quickly and retain sweetness.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#28: Post by Trjelenc (original poster) »

drgary wrote: Recently I discovered that I'd been charging too hot for years and was missing what I now get
Over the last couple years I've gone through quite a few iterations of techniques (charging hotter, soaks, changing fan during roast, low setting fan, high setting fan, long dry, short dry, etc) and recently have also felt like I'm on a breakthrough getting what I was previously missing, just in the last few weeks. Specifically, defined sweetness and lack of harsh flavors. I think I previously was carrying too much energy about 20°F before first crack

Milligan

#29: Post by Milligan »

I wanted to drop back in and say thank you so much for the Mysore recommendation. It rest long enough that I pulled a couple of shots today. Holy smokes. That is an excellent shot of espresso. A normal 20g->40g in 28s. Huge body, caramel crema, rich chocolate, absolutely no bitterness, a bit of baking spices, and more balanced than anything I've had in quite a while. I made one into a 6oz latte and it was fantastic. If I didn't know it was a SO I'd think it was a well crafted espresso blend (without robusta.)

Definitely spot on for a cold weather coffee recommendation.