What does a "Holiday Blend" mean to you? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#11: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

A blend I make in December. Not that complicated. :D
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

baldheadracing
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing »

"Holiday Blend" means a "Crowd Pleaser" to me - relatively low acidity, notes of sweet dark chocolate.

In addition, as these coffees are often given as gifts, well-developed so that the roasted coffee extracts reasonably well at the lower brewing temperatures found in a typical consumer drip brewer.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

drgary
Team HB

#13: Post by drgary »

Mysore Nuggets is a longtime favorite and is always well received. I also really like the blends described in the opening post. I would be moved to do something like that as a melange to being out the best of each component.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by Milligan replying to drgary »

Do you blend the Mysore? It seems like a coffee best blended. I'm putting together a "holiday" roast for friends and family this year and the Mysore coffee has me interested. I'm thinking perhaps 30% Mysore, 30% Ethiopian, and 40% Guatemalan/Colombian roasted to medium/dark, Full City would be a nice holiday blend. Wondering if maybe I need to go a bit darker for the Nuggets though.

Morseman

#15: Post by Morseman »

I got the Holiday Blend from Black & White last year and enjoyed it as a change. I actually contacted them and asked if they had added cinnamon spice to the whole beans in the blend, but they assured me the taste got there via the method used to process one of the components in the blend.

drgary
Team HB

#16: Post by drgary »

Milligan wrote:Do you blend the Mysore? It seems like a coffee best blended. I'm putting together a "holiday" roast for friends and family this year and the Mysore coffee has me interested. I'm thinking perhaps 30% Mysore, 30% Ethiopian, and 40% Guatemalan/Colombian roasted to medium/dark, Full City would be a nice holiday blend. Wondering if maybe I need to go a bit darker for the Nuggets though.
I typically have not blended it but like the idea, especially as a melange, where each SO is optimally roasted to be brewed at the same temperature.
Gary
LMWDP#308

GC7

#17: Post by GC7 »

Milligan wrote:Do you blend the Mysore? It seems like a coffee best blended. I'm putting together a "holiday" roast for friends and family this year and the Mysore coffee has me interested. I'm thinking perhaps 30% Mysore, 30% Ethiopian, and 40% Guatemalan/Colombian roasted to medium/dark, Full City would be a nice holiday blend. Wondering if maybe I need to go a bit darker for the Nuggets though.
I have been working with this coffee lately and enjoying it a lot. I roasted my first pound about 15 seconds into second crack to 439* F. I have a profile if anyone wants to see it.

While enjoying all the variations, the standout is a SO flat white (18g in to 32g out) final 5 1/2 oz drink. It has just enough acidity while enhancing the complex assortment of nuts, clean earthy flavors and lots of spicy elements. Wow- delicious.

Brewed and SO espressos are quite good but I think these nuggets shine in milk.

Surprisingly to me, I did not think the Mysore works well in the blends I tried. Mostly, I made variations with Brazil Legender, Brazil Minas Crown Jewel and Ethiopia Natural Sidama Bombe. Blends with the Mysore seemed "confusing" to me. Too much going on without enhancing the individual elements.

Try them.

drgary
Team HB

#18: Post by drgary »

My best Mysore roasts have been 10 seconds into 2C, and it's rich, complex, slightly earthy and very chocolaty. I think that at least s large portion of a blend would be the Mysore.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#19: Post by Milligan »

Wow good to hear it stands on its own without having to be tamed back. I'll place an order for some and try just into second crack to start.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by Milligan »

drgary wrote:My best Mysore roasts have been 10 seconds into 2C, and it's rich, complex, slightly earthy and very chocolaty. I think that at least s large portion of a blend would be the Mysore.
GC7 wrote:I have been working with this coffee lately and enjoying it a lot. I roasted my first pound about 15 seconds into second crack to 439* F. I have a profile if anyone wants to see it.

While enjoying all the variations, the standout is a SO flat white (18g in to 32g out) final 5 1/2 oz drink. It has just enough acidity while enhancing the complex assortment of nuts, clean earthy flavors and lots of spicy elements. Wow- delicious.

Brewed and SO espressos are quite good but I think these nuggets shine in milk.

Surprisingly to me, I did not think the Mysore works well in the blends I tried. Mostly, I made variations with Brazil Legender, Brazil Minas Crown Jewel and Ethiopia Natural Sidama Bombe. Blends with the Mysore seemed "confusing" to me. Too much going on without enhancing the individual elements.

Try them.
I got my order from Burman a few days ago and had a chance to do a couple of roasts. I went for just into 2C. They were very aesthetically pleasing as they fell out of the roast drum. Dark chocolate color, large, plump, and with a slightly polished sheen. I mostly bought them for others because I don't enjoy darker roasts very much. I'd just sampled several dark roasts with a friend and reaffirmed they aren't pleasant on my palate. The Mysore changes my view a bit. No harsh or bitterness to be found (my tongue is very much opposed to bitter, but not as much sour) in this roast. There are hints of spice notes in the aroma along with chocolate and caramel. The flavor is pure chocolate with a sprinkle of spices that I can't 100% put my finger on. Almost like a blend of baking spice. No bitterness but still a bit of acidity to bring some life to the coffee.

Since it handled right into 2C well, I may fancy to take it a bit darker to see if I can get a little more spice out of it. Very impressive coffee for a darker roast. I believe Burman has it for $4.99 right now too :shock: