What coffees are you blending? - Theory and Practice - Page 9

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#81: Post by JohnB. »

I'm using either the Daterra Sweet Blue or the Pedra Branca Pulp Natural as a base. Currently mixing 10 gr. of the Sweet Blue with 6 gr of the washed Ethiopia Sidama Shantawene Village (SM 8/2020). This gives a tasty chocolate/orange straight shot. Roasted the Shantawene just into 2C. Next time I'll take it 15-30 seconds into 2C & see if I can tone down the citrus punch a little bit more.
LMWDP 267

MaKoMo

#82: Post by MaKoMo »

The just published March/April 2022 edition of Roast has a feature on "Best Practices in Blending Coffee" by Chris Kornman (Royal Coffee).

Advertisement
pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#83: Post by pcofftenyo »

olutheros wrote:i'm sure you could taste a contribution of flavor at 10/15% but from what i've read, lower amounts like that can run into some problems with consistency due to the statistical risk of getting an uneven distribution in any given cup/shot
Have been doing a bit more volume blending the past week. The formula plays into what coffees/roasts one's using and variances between them. The Yeast Honey Guat I've got roasted to Nordic levels punches through a pretty standard Brazil base at 15%. This gets a little lop sided though because of the weight of the Brazil so I've been throwing a Nicaragua Ethiosar in there at 15% so its 70/15/15.

I've not had settlement or inadequate blending issues of note. Of course bean size and weight has a lot to do with it and must definitely be considered. It's much more critical in a house espresso blend where the cafe will burn through literally tons a year than in the Casa or a private customer.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#84: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Looks like the same or similar article is available from Royal.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Chert

#85: Post by Chert »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Another Wush Wush blend a hit this morning.

50/50
Ethiopian Wush Wush Natural

Columbia Palo Roas Sugarcane Decaf
Do you mostly blend before making espresso or larger quantity out of the roaster?

Because a friend wants 12-16 ounces. I blend 18-24 after roasting, mix, measure his out and then save the remnant for me. Then after a week or so, I divide any remaining into my single dose freezer storage containers. I have brazil-Yemen-guatemala and brazil-ethiopia natural-nicaragua from January for further enjoyment in freezer now.
LMWDP #198

Chert

#86: Post by Chert »

Same friend just got 65% Costa Rica Terrazu La Minita with 35% Showroom Rwanda Kinini Village AA. It seems like a good mix on paper. I'll get his feedback in a few days.
LMWDP #198

jfife
Supporter ♡

#87: Post by jfife »

Some of the best espresso beans I've ever had come from one of Seattle's "Three-V's" roasters on Pike St. Roasting right under the shadow of a mega-company they were mixing Brazil with Sumatra greens in an undisclosed proportion ( Oh-I tried!) and the results were almond nutty and light orange peel. Fabulous.
When they couldn't get the Brazil, the roaster told me they would use a Mexican. Not as flavorful but close to the original.

Also, Has anyone else seen that blending green beans tends to make them behave better around first crack? Perhaps bean-A emits its steam a few degrees before bean-B and you don't get such a massive puff all at once...

I have been enjoying mixes of various Sumatran and Brazilians from SM.
Sumatra Dry Process Gunung Tujuh and Brazil Dry Process Minas Café Pequeño worked well.