Using Huky with home natural gas hookup?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Trjelenc

#1: Post by Trjelenc »

I just bought a house with an enclosed finished porch/sunroom that will be the only space I can roast for the foreseeable future, and it also has a natural gas hookup for a space heater. I have the propane stove for the Huky and definitely still can just use a propane tank, but if I'm going to be right next to a natural gas hookup, that would be a really convenient option.

Anyone here roast off a home natural gas line? I'm thinking all I would need to do is contact Mr. Li about ordering one of his natural gas stoves, which was an option when ordering a Huky, and then figure out the correct fittings.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Check building codes. You may need a venting system of some sort for an indoor, gas heated device, not to mention the smoke.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#3: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I think the Huky is fine if you get the new stove AND your intent is a permanent set up. Just have a way to exhaust to the outdoors. If you decide to keep the propane set up, the tank should not be indoors for safety reasons.

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

jfife
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by jfife »

I installed my North 500g in a walk-in basement and had some trouble finding a professional gas installer to work on a home roaster. US code requires stainless steel B1 vent for gas venting. Single walled can be safely used if spacing codes to combustibles - like wood - are observed. You will need a stainless steel venting system which meets any local code required. I got good info and materials from supplyhouse.com from New Hampshire. I used a HVAC company who did install of a commercial roaster in town, and they improved my gas distribution for stove and dryer as well.

For inside roasting I strongly recommend separating the bean-vent from the gas-vent to eliminate blowback. The single pipe vent system with a "Y" connection is problematic. It can leak CO.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Z-FLEX-2SVE ... -4936000-p

Trjelenc (original poster)

#5: Post by Trjelenc (original poster) »

Is this conversation about venting for the gas stove not overkill? Kitchen gas ranges don't need to be vented outside. The existing space heater that's utilizing the gas hookup does not have venting. I will be routing the Huky's exhaust to vent outside and probably will have an additional window open while roasting. This is not a commercial operation

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

you do not need a different stove but you will need new nozzles when changing from propane to natural gas, I got both sets of nozzles with the Huky I bought.
LMWDP #483

Trjelenc (original poster)

#7: Post by Trjelenc (original poster) replying to Marcelnl »

I thought that the reduction in energy output of natural gas compared to propane meant that the stove needs to be setup differently to provide the needed BTUs. Or maybe just a different regulator to provide more pressure?

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

Yes, it needs to be set up differently by replacing the nozzles with ones for natural gas with different size orifices.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Marcelnl

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

Trjelenc wrote:I thought that the reduction in energy output of natural gas compared to propane meant that the stove needs to be setup differently to provide the needed BTUs. Or maybe just a different regulator to provide more pressure?
As mentioned by Yakster, changing the nozzles is what is needed. What I do not know is whether the natural gas pressure is enough, I'm using a 5KPa propane regulator and need full whack ~4.5KPa to get things going (using a perforated drum so YMMV). Where I live the pressure of natural gas is like 30mBar which is 3KPa, and the regulator cannot simply be changed.
LMWDP #483

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#10: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Trjelenc wrote:Is this conversation about venting for the gas stove not overkill? Kitchen gas ranges don't need to be vented outside. The existing space heater that's utilizing the gas hookup does not have venting. I will be routing the Huky's exhaust to vent outside and probably will have an additional window open while roasting. This is not a commercial operation
yes that is what I was saying just vent outside and you are fine. The real question as mentioned is your gas pressure out there enough, and then if so you need to change nozzles.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart