US Roaster, Artisan Start Up

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SawhorseCowboy

#1: Post by SawhorseCowboy »

Hello out there! I am trying to hook my US Roaster up to artisan. So far I have had very little luck. I don't think that the probe is getting a reading, but am at a loss for a solution. I have downloaded the driver for my hardware but still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jesse

SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

Ummmm.....some details would help.

What are you using as a 'meter'?
What do your configuration pages look like in Artisan (screen shots please).

And, perhaps you could tell us what documentation you have already read so we don't bother sending you back to those sites again.

SawhorseCowboy (original poster)

#3: Post by SawhorseCowboy (original poster) »

Ok, heres some background. I have read the modbus blog posts from Artisan, and also tried to apply the "modbus cheat sheet" information to my parameters. I still get an error message after about 10 seconds, I have attached a screenshot.

I have also attached screenshots for my device and serial port config settings.

Once again any help is greatly appreciated.

#4: Post by SawhorseCowboy (original poster) »

Ok, heres some background. I have read the modbus blog posts from Artisan, and also tried to apply the "modbus cheat sheet" information to my parameters. I still get an error message after about 10 seconds, I have attached a screenshot.

I have also attached screenshots for my device and serial port config settings.

Once again any help is greatly appreciated.

#5: Post by SawhorseCowboy (original poster) »

Not sure if this is what you meant by "meter" but my pid is a solo 4848 by automation direct.

MaKoMo

#6: Post by MaKoMo »

This error message tells you that Artisan is not able to talk to your PID.

The SOLO is able to speak MODBUS ASCII as well as MODBU RTU. Configure both, Artisan and the PID to use the same protocol. MODBUS ASCII seems to be the default configuration of that PID.

The SOLO is able to communicate at 2400, 4800, 9600, 19.2K, 38.4K baud. Configure both, Artisan and the PID to use the same baud rate. 9600 seems to be the default configuration of that PID. Note that your PID is not able to talk at 115200 baud!

The SOLO is able to communicate with 7 or 8 bits (in MODBUS RTU mode only with 8 bits). Configure both, Artisan and the PID to use the same byte size / bit length. 7 bits seems to be the default in MODBUS ASCII mode of that PID.

The SOLO is able to communicate with NONE, Even or Odd parity. Configure both, Artisan and the PID to use the same parity. Even parity seems to be the default of that PID.

The SOLO can communicate with 1 or 2 stop bits. Configure both, Artisan and the PID to use the same number of stop bits. 1 seems to be the default of that PID.

Ensure that the Network address configuration of the PID corresponds to the slave ID of the MODBUS input channel you want to read from.

Select the correct Comm Port at which your USB2RS485 converter is connected and ensure that you have the correct driver for that converter and your operating system installed. If the converter is connected correctly and the driver is correctly installed, Artisan should populate its Comm Port popup with the corresponding port (which should disappear from the popup once the converter is disconnected). Most likely "..arrowsMacBook-Blu.." is not the correct Comm Port!

Ensure you have the RS485 wiring between your USB2RS485 converter and the SOLO PID correct.

Read the manual of your PID!

#7: Post by SawhorseCowboy (original poster) »

Thanks so much! I am/have been trying to read my pid manual, I just don't comprehend this stuff very well. I will try all the things you suggested and post an update.

#8: Post by SawhorseCowboy (original poster) »

Ok, I dove into my manual and checked to make sure everything matched. You were right about the comm port, but changing it didn't fix the problem. Still the same error message. I don't know what the cable is that is running from my usb-comi-si-m is but it came with the roaster.

I must be missing something. Here is another screenshot.

MaKoMo

#9: Post by MaKoMo »

MaKoMo wrote:in MODBUS RTU mode only with 8 bits
You seem to have configured for "MODBUS RTU"... Either use 8bits or switch to MODBUS ASCII. There might be other things still wrong...hard to see from remote;)

#10: Post by SawhorseCowboy (original poster) »

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but that is the tab in the middle bottom of the serial port page right?