US Roaster, Artisan Start Up - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
MaKoMo

#11: Post by MaKoMo »

SawhorseCowboy wrote:Sorry for all the newbie questions, but that is the tab in the middle bottom of the serial port page right?
In you picture there is the widget labeled with type and its popup currently selects "Serial RTU" (aka MODBUS Serial RTU). You can try to switch this to "Serial ASCII" or alternatively reconfigure your PID to talk "MODBUS RTU" via its settings (cf. its manual for this).

SawhorseCowboy (original poster)

#12: Post by SawhorseCowboy (original poster) »

Ok, so I have tried both ASCII and RTU now, still no luck.

Is there anything else that I can try, I went back and made sure all of my settings matched. :cry: Still no good.

I feel like my driver software isn't right (not sure why I think this), is there anyway to check this?

MaKoMo

#13: Post by MaKoMo replying to SawhorseCowboy »

Did you check the communication parameters as configured in your PID? Reading out the manual of your PID (easy to find as PDF using Google)

Press its SET button for more than 3sec to enter the "Initial Settings" mode. Press the Rotate button to cycle through the settings. Check the following parameters

- C-SL: Modbus Protocol
=> ASCII for MODBUS ASCII
=> rtU for MODBUS RTU
- C-no: Network Address
=> this corresponds to the Slave ID in the Artisan MODBUS tab. Best to put a 1 here
- bPS: Baud Rate
=> keep this at 9600 for the moment
- LEn: Bit Length
- PrtY: Parity
- StoP: Stop Bit

Write down all this information and put it into the corresponding fields of the MODBUS tab. Report your findings here!

#14: Post by SawhorseCowboy (original poster) »

I found the manual after your first post and made sure all fields were matching. I will go through the wiring later today to check if it is correct. All the hardware came wired in the machine from US, so I assume that is correct (but worth double-checking). I will let you know what I discover.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#15: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to SawhorseCowboy »

And let me know so I can add it to the getting started guide if that makes sense. Thanks.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#16: Post by SawhorseCowboy (original poster) »

Here is the manual for the solo 4848: https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static ... ntrolm.pdf

I am still not having any luck finding a solution......

#17: Post by SawhorseCowboy (original poster) »

I have also noticed that when I switch from modbus ascii to rtu my bit length is automatically set to 8. If i am reading correctly, you are suggesting a bit length of 7 for modbus rtu, I can't get my solo4848 to do that. Not sure if that's useful but I am at a loss.

#18: Post by SawhorseCowboy (original poster) »

Update: The solo had been automatically switching to bit length 8 when I switched to RTU, when I noticed this I changed the port bit length configuration to 8, and sucess!

I really appreciate all your help, I am sure I will still have some questions.

MaKoMo

#19: Post by MaKoMo replying to SawhorseCowboy »

Excellent! Could you post an Artisan MODBUS configuration that works with the default setup of the US Roaster from factory? That could help others to onboard faster!

Thanks for working this out,
Marko

#20: Post by SawhorseCowboy (original poster) »

Here are some screen shots of what worked:

The only setting that needed changed in the solo4848 was The modbus language. It's default is ASCII but it only worked for me in RTU. All of the other changes were made through Artisan as shown above.