Upgrading Huky gas gauge

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Tonito

#1: Post by Tonito »

Hi folks
I just bought a used Huky that has a gas gauge that reads 0 to 10 kph and 0 to 1000 mamaq. What specific upgrade would you suggest so that I can get better gas control.? Or do you think it make sense upgrading
Thanks
Tonito

SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

This one worked well for me and for several/many other HUKY forum members:
https://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Pres ... SeriesLPG4

Tonito (original poster)

#3: Post by Tonito (original poster) »

I see several gauges listed on Dwyer, but what pressure range should I get?
Thanks for replying.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Brewzologist »

I like the 0-6 kPa gauge. I use a higher pressure variable regulator on my Huky which lets me use 5kPa as my max heat during a roast. So that gauge range works best for me. Have a look here for more info:

Huky - Gas Regulator

SJM

#5: Post by SJM »

Tonito wrote:I see several gauges listed on Dwyer, but what pressure range should I get?
Thanks for replying.
Sorry that wasn't clear. The one in the picture is the one I used: 0-3.5. It was really easy to read because it covered the entire usable range.

Tonito (original poster)

#6: Post by Tonito (original poster) »

Thanks every one you are awesome. You are very helpful . I really appreciate how you care and share on this forum. FYI
I am just getting my feet wet on roasting for real. I have been doing automatic profiles for three years on a rather pricey hot air roaster, but now I decided to really roast. I have been making my own espresso and various milk based drinks for a few years now.
Coffee will always be my passion. Take care everyone.

olutheros

#7: Post by olutheros »

Brewzologist wrote:I like the 0-6 kPa gauge. I use a higher pressure variable regulator on my Huky which lets me use 5kPa as my max heat during a roast. So that gauge range works best for me. Have a look here for more info:

Huky - Gas Regulator
Thanks for this! I just installed mine and I think it's a nice little upgrade, more usable space on the gauge makes it easier to quickly adjust and the vertical mounting means I no longer have to stand up to double check the gas level when I'm making changes.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by hankua »

The "WC gauges also work for gas coffee roasters; both the 15" and 30". The 15"WC would work for the standard US low pressure regulator, and the 30"WC works for a 1psi regulator. The Gas One 2106 is a 1psi regulator and $8.99 on Amazon, I used this model for a different project building a gas train with a needle valve and 30" WC gauge (PIC Gauge LP1-254-30 2.5" dial) for $23.62 on Amazon.

Actually the "WC gauge is easier to adjust with numerical divisions compared to the KPa gauge I normally use.

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

is anyone using a phidget?

(I hate the inches WC dials, metrics rule)
LMWDP #483

Rickpatbrown

#10: Post by Rickpatbrown replying to Marcelnl »

I recall a few threads where people tried, but dont know if there is a gold standard solution.
Automatic Logging of Gas & Air Flow

This one is more about air/fan logging, but Alan (Almico) mentions logging gas.
RTD, Air Pressure, Ambient Temps Upgrade Completed

One if the problems is that you need a high pressure gauge for the first 3/4 of the roast, but then a low pressure gauge for the last key minutes.