Unpleasant earthy taste, why?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
vicsin

#1: Post by vicsin »

Roasted some Guatemala Huehuetanengo beans that I got from a local roaster in my Hot Top B at 3:00pm. Next AM coffee brewed in average priced drip brewer had very unpleasant earthy taste. Did I brew to soon? Will earthy taste lessen as days go buy? No hint of sour or carbon so for me it's in the sweet spot but just don't care for drinking something that tastes like dirt. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have done about 128 roasts but this was first in a year. Thank you.

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

have you had this bean before? I have had coffee like that but it's more green related in my cases.

Advertisement
edtbjon

#3: Post by edtbjon »

I've roasted the very same bean (and still have some 3# of these big green babies...) a couple of weeks ago and I didn't find it "earthy". It was rather good and what made it not being excellent was probably me in handling my new to me Huky 500 roaster.
What I tasted with this bean was a bit of what I expected, i.e. mature fruit and citrus notes. Nothing too heavy.
In general I think that a freshly roasted coffee does have all the characteristics there, but like a good stew it will benefit from a day or two in the fridge... The very fresh coffee seems to have the tastes going quite sharp in different directions, where the same coffee after say 5-7 days have those same tastes more collected. In short, a very fresh tends to be a bit sharp, earthiness is not a characteristic which will fade away though.

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

What's the dry aroma like?
Jim Schulman

vicsin (original poster)

#5: Post by vicsin (original poster) »

Thank you for your reply. Had to leave for a while, but to answer your questions. I've roasted it many times and like it very much usually.
Aroma is good. No hint of earth flavor. Thx again.

vicsin (original poster)

#6: Post by vicsin (original poster) »

Also have had many interesting batches from this source. Could it be the beans I get or just operator error? Don't think I've had too many bad ones from other online bean sources, (SM) for one.

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

If you've roasted it before, and the dry aroma is clean; then the coffee is clean, and it's probably in the roast (unless you switched to some bad brewing practice, like unbleached paper). It is likely to go away in a few days when the aromatics fade; but the coffee won't be up to par.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
vicsin (original poster)

#8: Post by vicsin (original poster) »

Thank you. As I said in my 1st post I haven't roasted in about a year so my memory is not very clear but I thought that I didn't see as much smoke from this roast as I used to. Could the top and back filters on my B need changing and could that have contributed to my earthy taste? Thx again.

JK

#9: Post by JK »

Check your filters.. The oils in the rear could have solidified..
I packed my top filter with SS Mesh Kitchen Scrubber..

You can try washing the back filter but they don't last long washing..
I switched to two metal computer fan filter

Like these but I forget what size you need..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

vicsin (original poster)

#10: Post by vicsin (original poster) »

Thank you. I'm checking it out.