Troubleshooting Hottop with TC4 +HTC fan control

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
cyclistroaster

#1: Post by cyclistroaster »

Hey all,

Hoping someone might be able to help with this one. I have a Hottop KN-8828B-2k that I've been roasting with for quite some time. The upgrade was done prior to me owning the device.

Today I was starting to roast and everything was going normal until I tried to kick on the fan using Artisan control and nothing happened. I finished the roast and then at the drop, the Hottop factory settings kick on and the fan whirs to life. I have disassemble and the fan certainly works, just only with the control panel controls just not controlling from the computer.

Any ideas how to fix?

As context:
  • I haven't changed any Artisan settings
  • I can see the fan control wires and everything seems to be making contact

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

What Artisan version? With a Mac? 2.4 has a bug. Use prior version or continuous build?

https://github.com/artisan-roaster-scop ... issues/483
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

cyclistroaster (original poster)

#3: Post by cyclistroaster (original poster) »

I'm actually on an old version - 1.5

MaKoMo

#4: Post by MaKoMo »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:What Artisan version? With a Mac? 2.4 has a bug. Use prior version or continuous build?

https://github.com/artisan-roaster-scop ... issues/483
The Artisan version is not relevant here (but you should always run the latest version anyhow). The bug in Artisan v2.4 is only related to the Hottop 2k+. The Arduino based communication should work as in all versions before.

I remember that there have been problems on starting the fan with some firmware versions due to a higher demand on power during startup, especially for a little older fans. If I remember correctly, this could be fixed by later firmware versions. Thus a TC4 firmware update might help. You need to check on homeroaster.org for details.

#5: Post by cyclistroaster (original poster) »

Thanks - updated to 2.1 and still the same issue.

I'll check out the firmware and report back - a bit odd since nothing has changed about the setup (same computer, same OS, etc) between roasts when the fan did/didn't work.

#6: Post by cyclistroaster (original poster) »

Was already running the latest firmware :/

MaKoMo

#7: Post by MaKoMo replying to cyclistroaster »

Then it is most likely a hardware issue with the fan. Those fans are of low quality and take more juice once they get dirty.

#8: Post by cyclistroaster (original poster) »

Interesting -

I'm just surprised that it works when running a normal cycle using the stock control panel but doesn't when using Artisan. You think the computer just isn't able to send enough power to the arduino?

MaKoMo

#9: Post by MaKoMo replying to cyclistroaster »

No, it has to do with the generated PWM signal.