Thoughts on roasting Kona

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bilsch

#1: Post by bilsch »

So I'm curious,

What are folks' thoughts on roasting kona? Every kona I've had was roasted to nearly charcoal. When I roast it its at a light to medium.

Is there a specific roast level I "must" meet for this? I've found that lighter roast level also brings out the aromatics and volatiles better.

addertooth

#2: Post by addertooth »

I tend to do Kona lightly roasted as well. The key thing is make sure your post first-crack development phase rises to about 20 percent of the total roast time.

Below is a picture of one of my Kona roasts. The color appear correct on my screen, but your monitor may shift the color values depending upon adjustment.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mkane »

link doesn't work

bilsch (original poster)

#4: Post by bilsch (original poster) »

Yea link did not work for me either.

I wait for the first crack, hit the C button and wait for about 2 minutes and then drop to cool. So far it's worked out well enough. Next time I pick up some green kona I'll get more and experiment a bit with it.

addertooth

#5: Post by addertooth »

If someone can school me on how to post an image from my hard drive, I will be happy to post it.

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

addertooth

#7: Post by addertooth »

Thank you for the assist.

Mbb

#8: Post by Mbb »

$$$

Rickpatbrown

#9: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Have you actually tasted impressive Kona? I havent. I always thought the price was way to high for what I was tasting and figured it was due to the limited quantity from logistically difficult island.

These are my thoughts on Kona.

addertooth

#10: Post by addertooth »

Yes I have, but then, I cheat. Any coffee you make to your favorite profile is going to taste better to YOU.
Roasted one way and you get more fruit/floral. Roasted differently brings more body, roasty-ness, chocolate and caramel.

The bean is versatile, and can be roasted to bring out what you feel is best of Kona.