Thoughts on BOCABOCA 250? - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
happybidegg

#61: Post by happybidegg »

mhlwong wrote:Would be deeply appreciated if you could share your experience on this tiny roaster. For the tiny thermometer, since it is rotating with the drum during roasting, it won't be able to be replaced by wired thermocouples, an i right?
couldnt be replaced cos the wire will get stuck, i think

terrantc

#62: Post by terrantc »

There are two models - 250 and 500. I have checked the difference between them is about the Power - 500W and 1200W respectively. So what is the implication referring to the roasting time, evenness and advantages? Could anyone share the experiences of using model 500 here also? Thx

renatoa

#63: Post by renatoa »

The barrels also should be different, the 500 g model enclosure is 1" wider and heavier, 10 vs 6 kg .

terrantc

#64: Post by terrantc »

Thanks Renatoa

In case there is parts needed to replace, where could we find the parts to purchase?

Thx

renatoa

#65: Post by renatoa »

I guess you mean the glass, what else could "wear"... :D

I would ask the seller, this is indeed a component that can leave you with an expensive litter wood box, making the cat happy perhaps :)

Fisher

#66: Post by Fisher »

Is there significant heat released at the base of the Bocaboca roaster? If you don't buy the additional box (which has the cooling fan & wicker tray), I'm guessing a spacer would be required to prevent a fire. Or, does it stay cool at the base?

terrantc

#67: Post by terrantc replying to Fisher »

During the roasting, the roaster is hot but it is not necessary to have an additional device for fire prevention provided that no objects or touch on the roaster. The cooling box is for cooling down the roasted beans and skin removal.

terrantc

#68: Post by terrantc »

Has anyone shared the English or Chinese manual? Thx

renatoa

#69: Post by renatoa »

Any picture from inside to see how are radiants insulated against the wood ?
I suspect there should be a sandwich made of outer wood wall, then ceramic wool, stainless steel reflector, then the heating tube.

postino

#70: Post by postino »

Hi,
I'm new to roasting coming from modified popcorn popper.

I just bought the bocaboca 250 and am having problems roasting my Sumatra and Timor leste beans. uneven charring(black instead of darkbrown) and underdeveloped (grassy and acidic) on the finest grind size and 10 minute brew time on aeropress.

200g beans
preheat to 200C in 3 minutes
power 10
100C in 3 minutes power raised to 12
150C in 6 minutes (yellowing grassy)
165C in 7.30 minutes (browning baked bread)
205C single crack FC in 11.15 minutes
lowered power to 3 at 11.45
210C consecutive cracks FC 12.15 minutes
drop 14.05 into boca cooler 20% dev time 16% weight loss after roast.

i have tried power 12 all the way and lowered power to 6 30 seconds after single crack FC with same result (grassy and charred)

I have also tried extending roast by power 9 on dry and FC at 16 minutes but tasted flat and hollow with same char marks.

Appreciate any input as I have almost 2kg of coffee deodorants (underdeveloped).

Thank you