Thoughts and Opinions on Home Roasting as a Small Business - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
squawmanex

#21: Post by squawmanex »

Hi guys,

My 2 cents...

I started roasting 2 years ago with the Huky, and still am. I run a nano online business in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I obviously keep my day job, but this whole thing paid off my initial investment within a year and something, and it's good for a couple of extra nights in good restaurants to dine with my wife. I do roast for a whole day, once a week now. My record was 60# in a month last year, with two coffee shops. It was madness, so with half of that now, I'm more than happy.

Keep in mind that you are the manager, packager, designer, accountant and last but not least, the roaster, and barista when brewing your samples at different coffee shops.

Huky is a great starter, but if you are serious about growing, consider always something bigger than you thinking of...

Another fella in the city, moved from 1kg roaster to a 6kg roaster (A DongYi), within a year. Although he did open a lil bar in downtown, and left his day job for the business. A whole different story...

Hope this helps just a bit...Huky rocks btw, lol

bradenl123 (original poster)

#22: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

Ended up going with a Huky. I figure start small and if nothing comes of it I can roast for myself and family / friends. It gets here tomorrow so I am excited to get roasting!

Braden

Thanks for all of the great feedback.

Advertisement
millcityroasters

#23: Post by millcityroasters »

bradenl123 wrote:Ended up going with a Huky. I figure start small and if nothing comes of it I can roast for myself and family / friends. It gets here tomorrow so I am excited to get roasting!
Braden
Thanks for all of the great feedback.
Hey, didn't Grandpa Green suggest the Huky might be a good idea in the first place? He was a smart guy and worthy of mention too. :)

bradenl123 (original poster)

#24: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

Grandpa Green got it right. Did my first roast today. Lots to learn but it was really fun and exciting.

Braden